Lead scrap?

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Lead scrap?

Postby Colohunter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:20 pm

I remember when you had that listed for sale Hoot, I thought of buying some from you, but I haven't taken the plunge into casting yet. I have started collecting wheel weights and fired bullets when I find them, just in case I decide to start. I'll definitely use you as an example (or buy some from you if you decide to do it again).
Colohunter

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:16 am

Hoot's Think Tank

;)
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Hoot wrote:Hoot's Think Tank
[ http://i51.tinypic.com/dwt4k8.jpg ]

;)

Move over, there's room for two and NONE of those stinking bubbles, this time! !..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:55 pm

Where's the rubber ducky?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:42 pm

Wish me luck guys! I'm headed to the big city tomorrow and I'm going to hit all the tire shops and scrap yards in search of some lead.
Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:Wish me luck guys! I'm headed to the big city tomorrow and I'm going to hit all the tire shops and scrap yards in search of some lead.

Your bio doesn't say where you're at. If you're near the Twin Cities, I can take you over to the range and we can fill a few syrup buckets with a quick hundred pounds worth if you strike out tomorrow.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:20 pm

It'll take me a minute to get there from SE Idaho LOL
Stealthshooter

Postby Stealthshooter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:49 am

Well I had a Doc appointment in the "big city" yesterday so I figured I'd visit the recycler and all the tire shops and car dealerships in search of some lead. I first hit the recycler which by the way was a JERK!! He told me they won't have anything to do with lead. He also chewed me out for melting the solder from the heater core I took to him saying it wasn't worth the time to do that. I think he just wanted the solder but anyway he proceeded to tell me what a fool I was for wanting to shoot cast bullets through my new rifle. Cast bullets are only for old guns according to him. So I left there and started hitting the tire shops. The first one wanted $20 for a bucket of wheel weights and there was a very long waiting list for them. I hit the next shop and he also wanted $20 for a bucket and he had one. I decided to see what else I could find and come back to him if I couldn't find anything else. So on I go to the next 2 shops which were big chain stores. Both the big chain stores told me they are now required to send all their wheel weights back to their corporate office so they can be properly disposed of. They also said all these regs are due to California. Ok so on I go again to a small mechanic shop which was a good thing! The guy said I just had to bribe the scrapper to take what I had but if you come back in a month you are more than welcome to have what is here! I thanked him and went on my way. The next guy is a CROOK!! I walked in and the owner came over and I asked about wheel weights. He said he had 20 five gallon buckets full in the back. I asked what he wanted and he said the recycler was giving him $45 a bucked. That's funny because the recycler said they don't want lead. I walked out of their pretty discussed and will never buy tires from them because I'm pretty sure he flat out lied to me. One last stop on my trip was the Ford dealership and they were more than happy to give me what they had. He said they are a pain in the butt to get rid of and to come back from time to time. I walked away with about a quarter of a five gallon bucket from them. I now have 3 places to get wheel weights which is good but I can't believe some of the people I talked to.
Stealthshooter

Postby wildcatter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:17 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:Well I had a Doc appointment in the "big city" yesterday so I figured I'd visit the recycler and all the tire shops and car dealerships in search of some lead. I first hit the recycler which by the way was a JERK!! He told me they won't have anything to do with lead. He also chewed me out for melting the solder from the heater core I took to him saying it wasn't worth the time to do that. I think he just wanted the solder but anyway he proceeded to tell me what a fool I was for wanting to shoot cast bullets through my new rifle. Cast bullets are only for old guns according to him. So I left there and started hitting the tire shops. The first one wanted $20 for a bucket of wheel weights and there was a very long waiting list for them. I hit the next shop and he also wanted $20 for a bucket and he had one. I decided to see what else I could find and come back to him if I couldn't find anything else. So on I go to the next 2 shops which were big chain stores. Both the big chain stores told me they are now required to send all their wheel weights back to their corporate office so they can be properly disposed of. They also said all these regs are due to California. Ok so on I go again to a small mechanic shop which was a good thing! The guy said I just had to bribe the scrapper to take what I had but if you come back in a month you are more than welcome to have what is here! I thanked him and went on my way. The next guy is a CROOK!! I walked in and the owner came over and I asked about wheel weights. He said he had 20 five gallon buckets full in the back. I asked what he wanted and he said the recycler was giving him $45 a bucked. That's funny because the recycler said they don't want lead. I walked out of their pretty discussed and will never buy tires from them because I'm pretty sure he flat out lied to me. One last stop on my trip was the Ford dealership and they were more than happy to give me what they had. He said they are a pain in the butt to get rid of and to come back from time to time. I walked away with about a quarter of a five gallon bucket from them. I now have 3 places to get wheel weights which is good but I can't believe some of the people I talked to.

Just a thought, take them the buckets to fill, with your name and phone number clearly on them and ask that they call you when they are nearly full. Then, when you go to recover them, switch out the bucket(s), for a clean one(s), do it in the AM and take them a couple of dozen donuts. I'll just bet they will become your repeat customer(s)..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:38 pm

wildcatter wrote:Just a thought, take them the buckets to fill, with your name and phone number clearly on them and ask that they call you when they are nearly full. Then, when you go to recover them, switch out the bucket(s), for a clean one(s), do it in the AM and take them a couple of dozen donuts. I'll just bet they will become your repeat customer(s)..

..t

I can testify that it works for range brass and cops and it only takes a baker's dozen! ;)

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Market