The One That Got Away..

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

The One That Got Away..

Postby wildcatter » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:55 pm

The One That Got Away..

So, my buddy is using his 223, instead of his 450b.

He's shooting from the Range lab, 200yds.

12:30P opening day (15NOV12) out walks a monster White Tail.

The animal is looking at the Range Lab, straight on, with his tail exactly behind him.

The white dot on his neck is the target. The white dot is 3/4 of the way up from the base of the neck to the head.

Bang-Flop!! Of course, it's a solid neck shot and a 22lr will kill instantly under those circumstances.

We wait 20 minutes and go down range, to find the deer has gotten up, and booked.

No Problem, we are following spore, that a blind man could track. A real serious Pumper. Arterial Blood everywhere and constant.

150yds, in the Forrest, we find where it bled out, or so it looks like. But he got up, walked 5-10 feet, left one more drop of blood and disappeared, into a maze of hundreds of other deer tracks. Nary another sign of bleeding, Nada.

We've done a really thorough search, for three days now and I mean "Thorough". That dang thing has just disappeared, and myself and my buddy are highly experienced, accomplished trackers and we were using dogs from the beginning.

Post script: So today, I lightly got after him..

.."You guys that keep using Sub-munition-Training-Rounds, with your 223's, 270's 30cal-Poodle-Shooters and anything lessor than a 338 Magnum, will never learn"!! How many guys can shoot for Mountain-Top to Mountain Top, with them long range shooting irons? Heck, even those guys that shoot really long range in Afghanistan, don't do so with just one shot and have to walk the rounds in and then there is still, allot of luck involved and they admit this fact. I developed this 450b and it's Brethren to "NEVER" have to track an animal AGAIN!!"

Now, he see's the letters, and hears the phone calls I get, from truly expert hunters, that start out, something like, .."You SOB. I have spent a fortune on my gun safe and you made them all obsolete"!! But, do you think he get's it? .."Man"!.. "This isn't a Sport!" In a Sport, the opposing Team has the same chance you have"!! "This is gathering, not HUNTING, when you use a 450b, because NOTHING, walks away when hit by it!!" .."And I don't want the opposing side to have a chance!!"

I maintain I can easily get to within 300yds of any animal on Planet Earth and if you do your part, we have the Exterior and Terminal ballistics to decide Any Issue at all, at 300yds, as if it were a walk-in-the-park!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Re: The One That Got Away..

Postby cptrifeg2 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:38 pm

yep..and thats the round the give us to shoot bad guys with wearing body armor..the 223 is worthless unless you are using it for head shots...which when taken intentionally is against the geneva convention...

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Dittos...yet another illustration of why I will never again lay hands upon Uncle Sam's Squirrel Rifle for self-protection purposes. Far too many instances of 4- or 5-hits needed to settle the argument. I want bang-flop, regardless of the personal threat or not. Meaning: 450B
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:35 am

I'm surprised that given the caliber he was using and the fact that it was "monster" size, that he didn't keep his eyes glued on it during those 20 minutes, in case it got back up. That's a heartbreaking story.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cptrifeg2 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Hoot wrote:I'm surprised that given the caliber he was using and the fact that it was "monster" size, that he didn't keep his eyes glued on it during those 20 minutes, in case it got back up. That's a heartbreaking story.

Hoot

This morning I saw the biggest Doe i've ever seen.. unfortunately by the time I had clear veiw for a shot she was moving 350+ yards out..needless to say I missed. Meanwhile the hunting party next door had a 20 something female still hung over for drinking her wieght in scotch..smoking a cigerette in her tree stand.. nail a 152 buck....(super jealous)..yeah..im not joking the DNR came out a recorded it...When I asked her for advice so I can nail a decent deer this is what she said-
Get really sh*tfaced drunk, punk at least twice on the way out to your stand, ware the same cloths you had on at last nights bombfire, and smoke a pack of cigs while you nod off in a coma..then shoot the bast*rd..

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

Return to The Trophy Wall