2011 Hunting Season Contest

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 2011 Hunting Season Contest

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Good suggestion by WH. More subjective, but then what isn't. Pic plus a story and data that we can vote on. I'd go with that.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:34 pm

I'll play again! Our season starts this Wed. I don't have a scale big enough to weigh an animal though.
Stealthshooter

Postby kottke_35 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:21 pm

How about this.?. Because we have such a diverse group of hunters here, from all over the US, its obvious that different game animals are going to be hunted and harvested. I will not get a chance at a huge alaskan bear or a midwestern whitetail this year, but I'll be chasing rocky mountain elk and mule deer. TSD will be chasing lil bodied whitetail, coyotes, and pigs. I don't see a fair point system working for this contest. I like WH idea but maybe with a twist.

Kills have to with the 450 bushmaster. I say that each member enters their story with a picture and we let the members vote on their favorite story. We should keep in mind the type of game pursued, bullets used, conditions, hunting ethics, and terrain. To me, this should be more about the thrill of the hunt and the killing ability of the cartridge, not the range that the game is killed. It takes more skill to stalk in close than to shoot something hundreds of yards away.

that's my 2 cents.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Wicked Hunter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:50 am

+1
Wicked Hunter

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:23 pm

kottke_35 wrote: It takes more skill to stalk in close than to shoot something hundreds of yards away.

that's my 2 cents.

B.

I agree with everything you said except this. I spend lots of time learning my rig and shooting just in case I can't get any closer.
Stealthshooter

Postby kottke_35 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:
kottke_35 wrote: It takes more skill to stalk in close than to shoot something hundreds of yards away.

that's my 2 cents.

B.

I agree with everything you said except this. I spend lots of time learning my rig and shooting just in case I can't get any closer.

And please don't take my comment as disrespect. everyone has a different cup of tea. I recently got the chance to finally shoot my 450 at 300 yards. I could deal with the 36 inches of bullet drop but the wind drift was awful. 10 to 18 inches with winds from 5 to 10 miles per hour. I can't afford that where I hunt. I'll stick to my 338 for long shots, hold dead on and squeeze the trigger. Keep thumper within a couple hundred yards. That's just me. Don't get me wrong I know it can be done, but the area I hunt often has wind blowing often times in different directions with variable speeds. To much to deal with when the elk are usually running mach 10.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Stealthshooter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Well boys here is my 2012 mule deer. It's not big by any means but it will taste good! The shot was 275 yards. More of a story later!

Stealthshooter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:13 pm

NICE! Congrats!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:21 pm

That looks like a tasty looking two point Mule Deer. I would make it into back strap steaks and jerky... :D
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby wildcatter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:Well boys here is my 2012 mule deer. It's not big by any means but it will taste good! The shot was 275 yards. More of a story later!

So, there ya go. another 25yds and the magical 300yds is there. Wind is always the thief in the night, so allow for it and minute-of-grizzle and terminal ballistics, will take care of the rest!

Good Job SS..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to The Trophy Wall