Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9

Postby misterduckduckgoose » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:48 am

Just wanted to make everyone aware of an issue I experienced on my first trip out with my Leupy VX-R Patrol 3-9 with the firedot reticle. Based on info across multiple forums and directly from Leupold I was told that the firedot reticled 3-9 would have no issues with the recoil of the 450. My first hand experience is slightly less optimistic. While it did hold zero quickly and held zero just fine through the 15 rounds i sent downrange, the firedot did not handle the recoil well. After every shot it either shut off or adjusted brightness levels. While this isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me, and since this is a hunting rig and I hope to only need the firedot working for the first shot, it is an issue I felt worth passing along to all of you. Have it mounted in a LaRue LT204 mount which held rock solid, but the illuminated dot in the center just wouldn't cooperate.
misterduckduckgoose

Re: Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:29 pm

I have fired hundreds of 450 BM rounds and a hundreds more through my .30-06 with my VX-R 3-9x with the Firedot Ballistic Reticle with no problems related to reliability of the Firedot. I would call Leupold. They are very responsive and you may just have a defective scope.

One problem I have had is that if you leave the battery in the scope with the Firedot turned off, it tends to weaken the spring that pushes the battery against the contacts so that the dot will not reliably illuminate. I temporarily solved this problem by putting a paper spacer under the cap on the battery compartment, but the permanent solution was a new cap from Leupold and removing the battery, whenever the rifle was not in use.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Re: Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9

Postby misterduckduckgoose » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:50 am

Appreciate the input on your experiences. I went out and shot it again yesterday and had the same issues, to the point where it finally just shut off and would only reilluminate after pulling and then replacing the battery. I will contact Leupold and see what they have to say.
misterduckduckgoose

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster