Scope killer

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Scope killer

Postby Nagantguy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:08 am

I know it’s been covered and it’s a known phenomenon but what to do about it? My AR 450 has now sent its second scope to the grave. My loads aren’t crazy- it’s not a light weight rig, the mount is sturdy. This new scope lasted exactly one range trip.
Is it possible that a I got a bad weaver new out of the box and then a bad Bushnell new out of the box?
Nagantguy

Re: Scope killer

Postby MOOSE EARS » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:22 am

Get a Leupold or Redfield Revolution. I have them on my heavy's and have had no burial services!
MOOSE EARS

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:32 am

MOOSE EARS wrote:Get a Leupold or Redfield Revolution. I have them on my heavy's and have had no burial services!

+1

Though they're out of the scope business now, my Nikon Monarchs, 3-9x50 (hunting) and 6-24x50 (load development), have endured endless hours on my 450b. Mostly the 6-24x50 since my passion was load development. There are plenty of them still in circulation as NOS. My Sightron SII 6-24x42 also rode the tiger without a hiccup

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:36 am

Hawke makes a decent scope, buddy has one on his unbraked Ruger #1 with full throttle 275gr Barnes loads and it's still going strong.
Al in Mi

Postby Spike1 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:21 pm

I have two Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 on both my 450's. Great glass,easy to adjust, plus they have held up. One is 7 years old, the other for 3.
Spike1

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:44 pm

Spike1 wrote:I have two Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 on both my 450's. Great glass,easy to adjust, plus they have held up. One is 7 years old, the other for 3.

Another +1

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby SAWMAN » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:01 am

Could there be a possibility that the rings are wrong/inadequate or the same for the scope base ??
Did you lapp your base to the gun ??
Are the rings and base DRY OF ALL LUBRICANTS ??
If the gun came with a base already installed,did you take it off and check under it ??
Did you check your rings for proper allignment before installing the scope ??
I have installed Leupold scopes on many hard thumping big game guns and NEVER had one to fail. Including a 45-90Express, 458Lott,and a 416Rigby.
Bottom line - -> if the mediocre recoil impulse of a 450B is trashing scopes ...?? ... SUM-TING-WONG ---- SAWMAN
"Why just dance when you can rock and roll."
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Postby MOOSE EARS » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:44 pm

SAWMAN wrote:Could there be a possibility that the rings are wrong/inadequate or the same for the scope base ??
Did you lapp your base to the gun ??
Are the rings and base DRY OF ALL LUBRICANTS ??
If the gun came with a base already installed,did you take it off and check under it ??
Did you check your rings for proper allignment before installing the scope ??
I have installed Leupold scopes on many hard thumping big game guns and NEVER had one to fail. Including a 45-90Express, 458Lott,and a 416Rigby.
Bottom line - -> if the mediocre recoil impulse of a 450B is trashing scopes ...?? ... SUM-TING-WONG ---- SAWMAN

He's having problems with Weaver and Bushnell, not Leupold...
MOOSE EARS

Postby SAWMAN » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:25 pm

I understand that.
Soooooo .... what would be common to the problem ??
How 'bout this - - -install at least a Leupold ... OR ... install it correctly.
Are you the same member that reccomends a lubricant between the scope base and reciever ?? Did someone reccomend it to the OP ?? ---- SAWMAN
ADDED: When those scopes were taken out of the rings,were there ring marks left on the scopes main tube ??
"Why just dance when you can rock and roll."
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Postby MOOSE EARS » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:57 pm

SAWMAN wrote:I understand that.
Soooooo .... what would be common to the problem ??
How 'bout this - - -install at least a Leupold ... OR ... install it correctly.
Are you the same member that reccomends a lubricant between the scope base and reciever ?? Did someone reccomend it to the OP ?? ---- SAWMAN
ADDED: When those scopes were taken out of the rings,were there ring marks left on the scopes main tube ??

The common problem in my estimation is scopes are not up to the task of heavy recoil. I've had scope failure with lower priced scopes, but never with a Leupold or Redfield Revolution. The old Bushnells and Weavers were tough but the newer ones from China maybe not so much. And no I don't lube scope mounts or bases. I blue Loctite them and they stay tight. And if you're digging the rings into the body of the scope, you need to buy a torque wrench. I use feeler gauges to evenly distribute the pressure on scope rings. I've been at this for 45yrs and have learned a thing a two. Peace to you!
MOOSE EARS

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster