Vortex 3-9x50 straight wall

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Vortex 3-9x50 straight wall

Postby Nagantguy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:04 am

Anyone tried this relatively new optic? I handled one in person last night and took the plunge and ordered one - I’ll be the beta tester !
Nagantguy

Re: Vortex 3-9x50 straight wall

Postby s4s4u » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:00 pm

First I had heard of it. Looks like it is in their Crossfire line. Curious about the glass.
s4s4u

Postby Escape Pod » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:08 pm

Supposedly they based it on the 450BM. Just ordered one myself. Did you receive yours yet?
Escape Pod

Postby Escape Pod » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:39 pm

Here’s a Vortex video showing them using this scope with a RAR and what looks to be Hornady 250gr FTX ammo. Dead on. https://youtu.be/cx9D0If1CJI
Escape Pod

Postby Escape Pod » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:56 pm

PS…just confirmed with Vortex, they did use Hornady 250gr FTX ballistics for the BDC placement. Also, medium-height rings for the RAR.
Escape Pod

Postby Escape Pod » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:23 am

Just a quick update. I received and mounted the 3-9x50 Vortex Crossfire II in Straightwall. Here's what I learned.

First, this is a gem of a scope. The eye box on this thing is very generous, thanks to the larger exit pupil afforded by the 50mm objective. I briefly flirted with changing direction and going with a 1-6x LPVO like the Strike Eagle...until I got my paws on one at Cabelas. As you go from 5 to 6x on the strike eagle, the view would visibly dim and the eye box would become quite tight. Compared to that, the 50mm objective on the Crossfire II felt like going "HD".

The mounting part was the most interesting. With the height of the Picatinny rail on my Ruger Ranch, I was actually able to mount this 50mm scope using Vortex Low Rings...getting me down very close to the 1.5" standard for scope height. My take on these Picatinny's is that if you're going to have your scope mounted so high above the barrel anyways, you might as well go with the 50mm bell. Especially if you're going to be hunting in low light/dark brush.

The reticle marks were big and chunky and clear. That was something else that surprised/disappointed me about the Strike Eagle. It had BDCs for 223 that were so small, even my 17 year old self might've strained to use them. Here the BDC hash marks dialed in for 150, 200, and 250 yards with Hornady 250gr were big and clear without obstructing the view.

But therein lied the problem that made me return the Vortex Straightwall scope.

The more I read about the mixed results of the Hornady FTX /Winchester XP on larger game and shoulder shots at certain distances, the more I become convinced that Bear Creek Ballistics 240gr will probably be my round of choice for hunting with this gun. Busting out the ballistic charts and trying to figure out how I could use the BDCs designed for Hornady rounds with the flatter trajectory of the Bear Creek 240, the more interested I became in changing gears and going with a Maximum Point Blank Zero approach. If you're not familiar, check out this gold nugget from a while back. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2610

Given that I wouldn't be able to make as good of a use of the Hornady BDC marks, my choices were to go with a scope with a generic BDC reticle that I could write myself a DOPE cheat sheet for or just grab any old duplex reticle system and use the point blank zero method.

Ultimately I decided to do the latter. I stayed with the Vortex Crossfire II system but exchanged the straightway scope for the 3-9x50 with the illuminated reticle. If this thing was going to be a low-light sniper rifle, why not throw a red dot in there. Instead of taking the BDC approach, I'll take the Max Point Blank Zero approach. For my Winchester XP rounds (which are identical to Hornady 250gr FTX) I would zero this bad boy in at 172 yards and be within 3 inches with the crosshairs on target anywhere from 20 yards to 200 yards. Once I've got the Bear Creek 240gr cartridge with its much flatter trajectory, I'll be within 2 inches from 20 yards to 200y.

Besides the new illuminated reticle, which is a pretty simple duplex with a basic red dot that is well controlled by the zero to 11 dial on top of the eyepiece, there isn't a like of difference between it and the non-illuminated reticle except the extra tenth of an ounce that the illumination turret adds.

I considered the Leupold 3-9x40 with the CDS for the 450 bushmaster, but here again I decided that if the scope is going to be perched up on high with the Picatinny rail anyways I might as well get the 50mm. Plus, with the max point blank zero approach I won't be futzing too much with the turrets unless I change loads.

I also considered the Vortex Diamondback 2.5-10x50 with BDC because, well, Diamondback is supposed to be better. But apparently the eye boxes on those are not quite as good as Crossfire II. Plus, all else equal I wanted the illuminated reticle.

Okay, not so quick of an update. Hope this helps somebody.
Escape Pod

Postby leadhoarder » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:50 pm

I wish that they made this with a smaller objective. I have always had disdain for objectives larger than 40mm especially for use on a fairly svelte rifle.
leadhoarder

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster