QD scope mounts

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

QD scope mounts

Postby Cutright » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:34 pm

I have a nice Burris Signature HD scope and was wondering how well and how secure/dependable it is to switch the scopes between rifles instead of buying separate scopes for each gun. What is the long-term effects of switching guns two to three times a year. What is the most dependable mounts to achieve this?
Cutright

Re: QD scope mounts

Postby Hoot » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:11 pm

IMHO, if the rails or mounts are parallel to one another I can't foresee any detrimental effects. The rings will naturally align to the scope body but if the mounts aren't parallel to each other, then when you tighten the rings to the mounts, there will be a fight as the mounts try to align the ring bases to them, instead of the scope body. Don't take good workmanship for granted. I've wrestled with several rifles which had base screw holes either pointing slightly in different directions or worse yet, one is not not true to the barrel centerline. Either way, you're in for a fight when those QD levers get tightened down.
In the case of rifles (or slug guns) which use a picatinny rail, the odds of the rail sides not being lined up and parallel are slim. The biggest risk lies with rigs that have separate front and rear mounts.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby s4s4u » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:07 pm

Cutright wrote:I have a nice Burris Signature HD scope and was wondering how well and how secure/dependable it is to switch the scopes between rifles instead of buying separate scopes for each gun. What is the long-term effects of switching guns two to three times a year. What is the most dependable mounts to achieve this?

I used to do this with my Thompson Center pistol but got tired of re-zeroing every time. Other than that, I see no problems. If the scope tracks well you might be able to note the changes to the turrets when you swap and get closer to zero off the get-go, but I could never get comfortable with that and had to put rounds on paper every time.
s4s4u

Postby Mathaeus » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:23 am

The only issue I can see with using QD scope mounts and a single scope: Different cartridges, different ballistics cause a need to re-zero with each firearm change.
Mathaeus

Postby coyote wacker » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:44 am

Myself I would say save some cash or sell off something and have one scope for each gun and a extra on the shelve for just incase....I keep several scopes on hand just incase one goes bad....most scopes Leupold and Burris if you dial them or shoot them on heavy hitters they will brake thats a guarantee I've sent enough of them back to get repaired.....

I'am going to get nasty but telling my experience with Burris....back in the 80's I was heavy into Burris scopes thats when it was like all I had was problems.....a brand new Burris 6-18 3 shots in a Ruger 22 mag lens cracked back for repair new Burris 1 3/4-6 on a 338 WM locked up could not adjust to sight in new 12 ga sluggun 2 shots with 2-7 locked up couldn't adjust....all happened in one year and were new scopes....
I traveled a lot and had a lot of money invested I couldn't be worried about if my next shot would be the one not going where it was suppose to.....

Leupold scopes I could type pages about all the scopes that I've broken over the years....usually it was 4-6 got broken and sent back for repairs I don't own a Leupold and never will....
coyote wacker

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster