Burris Fullfied with 450 reticle/ other?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Burris Fullfied with 450 reticle/ other?

Postby 07Kingpin » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:58 pm

Looking at this scope from Burris.

If you do a ballistic calc with common 250gr bullets bcs and velocity the drops match the reticle subtensions perfectly.

Anyone used one of these before?

Would like to find something with a simlilarly simple reticle- with such a limited effective range much more is just clutter for me.

The price point belies a few qc concerns but open to feedback.
07Kingpin

Re: Burris Fullfied with 450 reticle/ other?

Postby coyote wacker » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:50 am

Well you asked for feed back....I wouldn't own a Burris scope even if they were the only scope made....I've busted them on 22 LR, 223 just to name a few of the light calibers there junk and I haven't owned one in close to 25 years....I sure wouldn't want to be on a hunt and have one go over to the deep end I have and it could cost you not only a hunt but could be your life....
I'am not talking about Burris low end scopes I always bought high end top of the line.....had a 6-18 power a brand new scope for testing accuracy in guns 6 rounds of 22 LR the cross hairs broke on shot 5 and did the scope in on shot 6.....JUNK
Wife had a Remington 11-87 12 ga slug gun second shot sighting the gun in for opening day.....turrets froze up so tight they couldn't be moved on the third shot.....JUNK
Had a 1 3/4-5 on my custom Winchester 70 338 WM a once in a life time Arctic Hunt checking zero after 3 different flights and a sled dog run to the hunting grounds....the gun wouldn't hold a zero all over the place....lucky I had a spare scope to save a very expensive once in a life time hunt....
coyote wacker

Postby 07Kingpin » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:57 pm

Thanks for the reply and the personal experience cw.

Maybe you guys can help steer me in a different direction.

What I'm looking for is a simple reticle like the NF NP-R2 or Vortex EBR-1 but with less hash marks as it will be just for relatively short range.

Mil/mil subtensions and turrets, 1 and .5 mil hash's but with maybe 3-4 total.

Would really, really prefer non AO.

2.5-10, 3-9 or similar power range.

Suggestions?
07Kingpin

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:27 pm

coyote wacker wrote:Well you asked for feed back....I wouldn't own a Burris scope even if they were the only scope made....I've busted them on 22 LR, 223 just to name a few of the light calibers there junk and I haven't owned one in close to 25 years....I sure wouldn't want to be on a hunt and have one go over to the deep end I have and it could cost you not only a hunt but could be your life....
I'am not talking about Burris low end scopes I always bought high end top of the line.....had a 6-18 power a brand new scope for testing accuracy in guns 6 rounds of 22 LR the cross hairs broke on shot 5 and did the scope in on shot 6.....JUNK
Wife had a Remington 11-87 12 ga slug gun second shot sighting the gun in for opening day.....turrets froze up so tight they couldn't be moved on the third shot.....JUNK
Had a 1 3/4-5 on my custom Winchester 70 338 WM a once in a life time Arctic Hunt checking zero after 3 different flights and a sled dog run to the hunting grounds....the gun wouldn't hold a zero all over the place....lucky I had a spare scope to save a very expensive once in a life time hunt....

This experience sounds like every single Bushnell I’ve ever owned. Even a 22 Magnum bolt action would wreck them.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:30 pm

Unfortunately Nikon isn’t making scopes for rifles anymore. They are my favorite. But maybe check out Vortex. I’ve moved from Nikon to Vortex on all my new optics upgrades. But as long as that Nikko Stirling is still rocking on my Thumper, I guess I’m good.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 07Kingpin » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:41 pm

I've looked at Vortex, Leupold and others, guess I just have to keep scrolling through their reticle options.
07Kingpin

Postby coyote wacker » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:50 pm

07Kingpin wrote:I've looked at Vortex, Leupold and others, guess I just have to keep scrolling through their reticle options.

I avoid Leupold just the same now.....I would have several extra scopes so when a Leupold brakes I could replace it when I got 5-6 send them back for repairs..... several times a year...
Leupold's don't like to be used for long distance shooting....where you turn the dials to get your range...had several just lock up....
About 8-10 year ago I sent 6 Leupold's for repairs about a week later got a call from Leupold asking me if they could replace my scopes instead of repairing....I said OK told them what I wanted they sent me there top of the line high power scopes....Went and put them for sale when I received them and called it a day and bought 12 new Monarch's.....I'am still using them on several rifle and haven't had a problem with one.....
Also been using Trijicon scopes for about 15 years I haven't had to send one for repairs and there only 20 miles away.....I really like there "Radio Active" material used for crosshairs....hate using batteries to light up crosshairs and I really like there green option for color in crosshairs.....

Other than a couple rifles under 308 most of my rifles a large heavy hitters that get used.....

Its a dirty shame that there's not one American scope company that can make a reliable scope.....I hate giving business to a Foreign country....

Have a couple Vortex scopes high end that seam to be holding up.....only time will tell.....
coyote wacker

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster