Range report 2

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Range report 2

Postby Ruger44 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 am

Went to range yesterday, took 35 rounds of ammo, 225 flex tip with h110 powder. 4x bushnell scope med high weaver scope mount. Rifle shot great 10 yds started get it on paper. Went to 25 yrds was hitting foot high and right. After various adjustments was hitt dead on and about 4 high. With the better sights recoil was not bad you know it is not a 223 ,but as bad as my 06. Looking forward to futher range testing
Ruger44

Re: Range report 2

Postby offrink » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:04 am

Friday I was doing the same. Tried 250 grain ftx with 36 grain of lil gun, 225 FTX with 38 grains and 200ftx with 40 grains. The 250 FTX shot nice and surprisingly softer than either of the other bullets. I was having problems with my steel targets. The shrapnel from the rounds were shearing off the heads of the carriage bolts. The most accurate round was the 225 grain and was giving me 1 1/2” group sitting and resting my arm on my knee at 100 yards.
offrink

Postby plant_one » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:58 am

were you using chinese rubber carrige bolts?

i mean.. ive punched a carrige bolt THRU the mount hole before on an errant shot...

but i've never sheared one with spall from impacts on the plate away from the bolt - even with the cheapeast hardware i could get my hands on.
plant_one

Postby offrink » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:02 am

They were from the local ace hardware. I’ve hit them on the head with a variety of pistol and 223 rounds but never push through. Was quite surprised to see them come off. I’m replacing with plow bolts. Should be much stronger.
offrink

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:33 am

Small wonder

Remember TSD shooting that 1/2" steel plate in This Thread?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:40 am

punching through mild steel with ball ammo running hard and hot - and more importantly straight on - is one thing... thats linear push on a very small point as the entire weight/energy of the bullet dumps. lots of concentrated pressure on a very small point.

if you look at these super slow-mo hits.. you can clearly see where the bullet pushes a slug of metal thru the plate and out the back. https://youtu.be/QfFoMyMoiX4?t=181

shearing off a carriage bolt with spall is an entirely different discussion. we're talking about lead and copper thats already in fragments from splashing on the plate shearing a bolt head off. MUCH of its energy is already spent from the impact. and the fragments are not moving with enough mass at that point to carry the kind of energy a direct hit in a linear impact has. those fragments will stick in - but not pierce thru - schd 40 pvc (early plate rack test, no bueno with a buncha shards in it after a couple range sessions :( ), if you cant cut PVC -how is it going to cut thru something SIGNIFICANTLY harder

while i've had it carve thru stuff like nylon webbing before (plate straps).... a bolt head? the only time ive had those come off are direct hits that punch them thru the hole - even when using grossly undersized hardware because its all i had on hand to repair a damaged piece. i think ive managed to punch a dozen or so thru over the last 8 years or so - but after THOUSANDS of rounds on steel i've yet to have any evidence of sheering one with spall, from any caliber. every one i've had to replace has shown a direct, or mostly direct hit from a bullet - ie: linear impact force, not lateral.

the only possible way i can see it happening - or APPEARING to happen as described - is that the bolt head was already damaged, like a crack. either from a prior direct hit with a smaller caliber round, or impact shock from close hits tugging the plate on the chain causing a stress fracture at the bolt head. so if it was already partly fractured, getting repeated stress hits from the 450 (which really whaps a plate hard!) could have pulled the head off the bolt.

but a lateral sheer with already fragmented lead and copper particles... not so much.
plant_one

Postby offrink » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:30 pm

Sorry to sidetrack the thread. It was crappy carriage bolt heads. The bolt is made with the square shank and the threads and the the round heads are welded on. Well it was welded, just barely. I have to figure out how to post a photo and I’ll get the head posted. I only found one head. They are now replaced but haven’t tested them yet.

The targets are hung from a chain. That keeps them at an angle and deflects them down nicely by all the lead and copper chunks right below the targets.
offrink

Postby offrink » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:50 pm

Here is the bolt head.
Attachments
C6DA84FA-FB1D-4569-9AA1-490A9E15CD04.jpeg
Carriage bolt head
C6DA84FA-FB1D-4569-9AA1-490A9E15CD04.jpeg (110.06 KiB) Viewed 9696 times
offrink

Postby plant_one » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:28 am

so i still stand behind my assessment - it wasn't the spall that did it.

flawed product combined with hard hitting impact tore them off.

i now yield and return you to your regularly scheduled thread hijack. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby Zad Fnark » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:18 am

I did this with the Hornady 225 FTXs a few months ago.

I'm using a Vortex dot sight, so not even with a scope. 100 yds.

Zad Fnark

Return to AR15 Style Rifles