Sight in for zero at 172 yards...

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Sight in for zero at 172 yards...

Postby Escape Pod » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:59 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:All this math makes my brain hurt... I will stay with my nikon BDC and spot on app. It has not let me down yet. Plus, three inches either way is not acceptable in my book. Just sayn...

Are you primarily hunting, Smokinbubba, or target shooting? My assumption was that, for hunting anything besides varmints and other small game, 9 inches was an acceptable kill zone. Even with some shooter error, wouldn't three inches put it where its needed without ranging and holding?

I ask this as someone who has hunted approximately zero times, but is eager to learn.
Escape Pod

Postby s4s4u » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:36 pm

Escape Pod wrote:
Smokinbubba wrote:All this math makes my brain hurt... I will stay with my nikon BDC and spot on app. It has not let me down yet. Plus, three inches either way is not acceptable in my book. Just sayn...

Are you primarily hunting, Smokinbubba, or target shooting? My assumption was that, for hunting anything besides varmints and other small game, 9 inches was an acceptable kill zone. Even with some shooter error, wouldn't three inches put it where its needed without ranging and holding?

I ask this as someone who has hunted approximately zero times, but is eager to learn.

This has worked for me for almost 50 years. There were no BDC in hunting scopes so we always point blank zeroed. For big game it was +3/-3 and for varmints +2/-2 and for the 22LR +1/-1

Now that we have BDC in most scopes, or some kind of stadia, or turrets that we can dial there are more options. But PBZ is still a great way to set up your hunting rifle.
s4s4u

Postby Smokinbubba » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:57 pm

Im mostly a hunter. I found the nikon BDC scopes and spot on app to be dead on and have never looked back. The PBZ technique has been around for years but I am mathmatically challenged. Cant spell either. To each their own and there is more than one way to skin a cat! to me, meat in the freezer is what matters. The manner in which you get there is completely up to the person on the smart end of the rifle.
Smokinbubba

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles