It's ALIVE!! It's ALIVE!! My wonder thumping BEAST is ALIVE!

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: It's ALIVE!! It's ALIVE!! My wonder thumping BEAST is ALIVE!

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun May 29, 2011 7:42 pm

I took some pics. Will post soon. While blazing holes in 1/4" steel isn't difficult, I find this event intriguing, as it is a bullet over 200 grains traveling under 2500FPS. I expect a 30-06 or a 7mm Rem Mag or even 5.56 to deliver sufficient energy to preferate steel, but a 45 cal with a ballistic tip configuration that sometimes frags on big game yet held together well enough to blow a 68 caliber hole in 1/4" steel? I am beginning to wonder if we are over-reacting to the seemingly thin jacket on the Hornady 250 factory load.
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (32.45 KiB) Viewed 13557 times

photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (34.59 KiB) Viewed 13557 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun May 29, 2011 8:40 pm

Yeah... here is where I get all geeky and like to analyse.
I took about 12 measurements and took a final of six random results to average. I was measuring sort of like a clock face.
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (29.9 KiB) Viewed 13557 times

photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (33.39 KiB) Viewed 13557 times

photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG (31.27 KiB) Viewed 13557 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bushmeister » Mon May 30, 2011 7:49 pm

Wow, I never would have guessed that type of steel penetration. Did you get a pic mic'ing the steel to verify that it is 1/4"? That would be a nice touch. Regardless, you have to fall in love with it on that first jug!
bushmeister

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 30, 2011 8:55 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I took some pics. Will post soon. While blazing holes in 1/4" steel isn't difficult, I find this event intriguing, as it is a bullet over 200 grains traveling under 2500FPS. I expect a 30-06 or a 7mm Rem Mag or even 5.56 to deliver sufficient energy to preferate steel, but a 45 cal with a ballistic tip configuration that sometimes frags on big game yet held together well enough to blow a 68 caliber hole in 1/4" steel? I am beginning to wonder if we are over-reacting to the seemingly thin jacket on the Hornady 250 factory load.
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

You're right and I have written here, that even though, on occasion, we see jacket seperation, which is the sure-est sign that the bullet has failed and the animal got away, that is, if you are using a far lessor caliber/cartridge, our supposed failures, are nothing but Meat in the Larder or as the Bushmeister has said.."I no-longer need tracking skills"..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon May 30, 2011 11:00 pm

bushmeister wrote:Wow, I never would have guessed that type of steel penetration. Did you get a pic mic'ing the steel to verify that it is 1/4"? That would be a nice touch. Regardless, you have to fall in love with it on that first jug!

That steel is still out on the porch so I will try to do that tomorrow. But it was a scrap left over from a project where I had ORDERED 1/4" angle stock for a radio tower. It better be what I ordered, and since the tower is still standing here at the farm, with all the storms and tornadic/ micro-burst winds it has endured, I sure hope it's 1/4".
One thing I did notice inside the hole was a very thin layer of lead. I should have scraped it out but didn't want to give the hole any appearance of being altered.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue May 31, 2011 7:17 am

bushmeister wrote:Wow, I never would have guessed that type of steel penetration. Did you get a pic mic'ing the steel to verify that it is 1/4"? That would be a nice touch. Regardless, you have to fall in love with it on that first jug!

Here ya go, Bushmonster!! LOL. It Mic'd out to 0.281". I would say thats actually a mite thicker, but there was a bit of rust.
thickness.JPG
PUNCH!
thickness.JPG (36.38 KiB) Viewed 13527 times

I dare say that there is not a pig on the planet with 1/4" steel plates in his shoulders. (Except maybe Michael Moore or Rosie O Donnell)

GOT PUNCH?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby AR_Hunter » Tue May 31, 2011 12:15 pm

"I dare say that there is not a pig on the planet with 1/4" steel plates in his shoulders. (Except maybe Michael Moore or Rosie O Donnell)"

Well said! :lol:
AR_Hunter

Postby bushmeister » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:12 pm

That's awesome! I felt that would be a nice touch for the naysayers!! Thanks for going through the trouble.
bushmeister

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 pm

bushmeister wrote:That's awesome! I felt that would be a nice touch for the naysayers!! Thanks for going through the trouble.

Yeah. The "naysayers" can't nay now without sounding like a mule.
Next test might be on 3/8" plate if I can find a scrap.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Stealthshooter » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:19 pm

HOLY CRAP is all I have to say!!
Stealthshooter

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles