Buffer and spring change needed with .450?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Buffer and spring change needed with .450?

Postby bigboreshooter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:23 pm

I have had no failures in ejection or lock up. the only FTE's I have had were from original mag. Trimmed the spring and those stopped. First time I shot my bushy I shot twenty rounds and bruised my shoulder. I'm not a wuss and have been shooting .300 win mag since I was 14. After installing endine and heavy spring it feels better than my 12guage. To each his own.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby MrRowdy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:06 am

It's odd how some folks percieve recoil compared to others. I could shoot the .450 all day long without issue but a round of skeet or throwing a box downrange out of a 7mm Mag seems downright brutal. I did install a Wolff extra power recoil spring to aid in first round feeding and a benefit was somewhat reduced recoil. The recoil pad on the Ace skeleton stock aids comfort considerably over the A2 meat grinder buttplate.
Last edited by MrRowdy on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrRowdy

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:49 am

Yeah, my bug-a-boo is the 7mm Mag too...just something about it. I've learned to use a PAST shooting pad with that and the slug gun. Makes recoil impulse a push instead of a punch. Don't really know about other brands, but those PAST pads really work great, especialy if the day is going to be on the range.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby bigboreshooter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:50 pm

I switched to 7mm mag this year, it's a baby compared to .300 win mag.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanks for the warning...a guy I work with has been bugging me to take him and his 300 Win Mag to the gun club...PAST pad will be in place!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:26 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Yeah, my bug-a-boo is the 7mm Mag too...just something about it. I've learned to use a PAST shooting pad with that and the slug gun. Makes recoil impulse a push instead of a punch. Don't really know about other brands, but those PAST pads really work great, especialy if the day is going to be on the range.

I've shot a 7mm Mag once in my life. A Model 70 featherweight with no recoil pad. A friend got it as payment from a guy for some debt and wanted to use it for deer season, so he needed help sighting in the scope. We went to the local quarry with my B&D Workmate, a sofa pillow, some 9 inch paper plates and a stick. It was a warm summer day. Tee shirt weather. I Looked down the barrel to bore sight it and set up a paper plate at 50 yards. I set up the workmate and pillow, lightly aimed it and touched off a shot. At that time, I had never had my eyebrow split open and it came as quite a shock. The intense pain in my shoulder actually made the split a surprise that was only realized when the blood started running down in my eye. A couple of stitches took care of it and the scar is almost invisible now. My arm had blood run under the skin halfway down my bicep that produced a technicolor bruise a few days later, when the feeling finally returned. After the first shot, I gave him the rifle to finish sighting in with me as a coach. I will never shoot one again. My .300 Win Mag BAR with recoil pad is a pussycat by comparison. I can shoot it as long as I can tolerate the jarring to my nose and cheek, but the shoulder doesn't mind. Events like that, combined with 15 years of shooting lots of trap and skeet each week led me to eventual shoulder surgery on my right shoulder back in 1998. The shoulder is fine, aside from an impressive scar from the surgery, but I will take any measure necessary to reduce recoil on every long gun I own. I have no wish to jeopardize the successful surgery as I had to chew up a chunk of my sick leave during the recovery phase after surgery. I set my three dislocated fingers myself last November and am not what I consider a wimp, but why endure recoil that can be mitigated when you don't have to? That's my philosophy now. FWIW, one of my former roommates had a really light Remington 760 in 270 Winchester. It was a miserable rifle to shoot. My dad has a light 270 bolt action and it too has an identical short, sharp, stabbing recoil. Must be the caliber. My 450b is pleasurable to shoot all day by comparison. I've run as many as 100 rounds through it in one sitting doing load experiments in a tee shirt. That's how all guns should be. Folks who gain some sort of gratification from getting the crap kicked out of them as some odd "Red Badge of Courage" testimony, make no sense to me, but then I don't like eating food that hurts either. To each his own... :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Dang, Hoot...sounds like the scene with the Black Knight blocking the bridge in Monty Python's Holy Grail..."come back here, its only a flesh wound!"... ;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:58 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Dang, Hoot...sounds like the scene with the Black Knight blocking the bridge in Monty Python's Holy Grail..."come back here, its only a flesh wound!"... ;)

And I will indeed bite your leg off! ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:01 pm

As I recall, they dared him to take a nip out of a slightly higher body part? :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby gunnut » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:16 am

I guess I need to restate some things here. The buffer in the AR rifle is designed to act as a dead blow hammer when the bolt locks up.
The mass or weight of the bolt carrier and buffer do reduce the recoil by about 30%! Verses single shot no gas action at all.
When the high pressure gas launches the bolt carrier and buffer into the buffer tube it has to push against the upper and lower receivers mass slowing their acceleration and reducing recoil.
“This happens about the same time that an effective muzzle brake kicks in”
So, by adding weight to either bolt carrier, buffer or both you would be reducing recoil.
The buffer spring absorbs the energy in the carrier group and buffer and delays the transfer to the shooter untill it returns the bolt.
If you’re going to add weight to the carrier and buffer you should use a heavier buffer spring to get full benefit and reduce wear.
Same amount of energy. Just transferred over a longer period of time.
Check out http://www.heavybuffers.com/images/Buffer%20Table.jpg A lot of good info there.
The AR15 X-Heavy's should do the trick as far as recoil goes. but, Will effect lock up.
Keep in mind that about 70% of the energy has already been transferred to the shooter “Primary recoil” before any of this occurred.
gunnut

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles