New Federal 450 BM ammo

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: New Federal 450 BM ammo

Postby Publius » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:16 pm

FYI, SGAmmo now has the 300gr non-typical in stock. I'll wait to see how the 300gr power-shok shoots from my rifle before I try the non-typical.
Publius

Postby gsp4ever » Thu May 23, 2019 10:36 am

Publius wrote:FYI, SGAmmo now has the 300gr non-typical in stock. I'll wait to see how the 300gr power-shok shoots from my rifle before I try the non-typical.

I just got a couple of boxes of the Non Typical ($23/box +shipping from Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore). They look identical to the PowerShok. Looks to be the Gold Dot or Deep Curl hunting bullet. I would imagine there wont be much of a difference between the two. Something similar to the Hornady Custom, Black and American Whitetail offerings. All three of those are 250 grain FTX. Now if these work out good just may have to consider finding a load for these and order some bullets.
gsp4ever

Postby Thom28 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 pm

Please post a range report after you give them a try. Thanks
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Charlie U » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:31 am

I picked up a couple of boxes of the Federal 300gr power shock ammo at a LGS. It was $27 a box which puts it on par with the Hornady ammo.

Had been using the Hornady Black for hunting the last few seasons and was not entirely pleased with its terminal performance on deer. Hornady Black gives good accuracy, but expansion & penetration was less than ideal for me on a couple of hunts so I want to try the 300gr Federals this season. I'm hoping this Federal stuff with it's stout heavier slug will give better thump than the Hornady Black at the same price point.

Will do some range time soon to see how it groups in my rifle and get the scope dialed in with the Federal ammo. A simple 100yd zero is about right for the areas I hunt.

The Federal Power Shock ammo has a strong crimp in the cannalure and at first glance it does look a bit like a roll crimp, but a closer look shows it to be just an agressive taper crimp.
Charlie U

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:49 am

If its accurate, you'll be very pleased with its performance. ;)
Al in Mi

Postby Thom28 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:53 pm

"Will do some range time soon to see how it groups in my rifle and get the scope dialed in with the Federal ammo. A simple 100yd zero is about right for the areas I hunt."

Keep us updated on your range report. I have no doubt they will give better performance on deer than the Hornady FTX. I had same problems with performance on deer with the Hornady black that you did. Not a great fan of it for hunting, but as you stated it does great on paper for accuracy.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Charlie U » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:06 am

Went out Saturday afternoon with my brother. I am a pretty good shot, but he's a USMC marksman and currently works homeland security at a nuke plant, so he's more proficient than I am. Try as we might we just couldn't get a tight group out of the Federal Power Shocks. At 100yds we were getting groups of 3-4". Nowhere near the accuracy the gun gives using the Hornady ammo.

We fired from the bench and prone and my rifle just did not like that 300gr Federal stuff. It's a Bushmaster XM-15 with a 20" barrel. Pretty much factory stock other than an upgraded match trigger set and I replaced the Izzy flash hider with a Ross muzzle brake. 3 to 4 inch 100yd groups was the best we could get it to do......Rather disappointing.
Charlie U

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:27 am

Charlie U wrote:Went out Saturday afternoon with my brother. I am a pretty good shot, but he's a USMC marksman and currently works homeland security at a nuke plant, so he's more proficient than I am. Try as we might we just couldn't get a tight group out of the Federal Power Shocks. At 100yds we were getting groups of 3-4". Nowhere near the accuracy the gun gives using the Hornady ammo.

We fired from the bench and prone and my rifle just did not like that 300gr Federal stuff. It's a Bushmaster XM-15 with a 20" barrel. Pretty much factory stock other than an upgraded match trigger set and I replaced the Izzy flash hider with a Ross muzzle brake. 3 to 4 inch 100yd groups was the best we could get it to do......Rather disappointing.

Sounds like the luck I had over the years with 300 grainers from my Bushmaster XM-15 with a 20" barrel. Maybe a little tighter since I was using a BR setup from a concrete shooting table but not at all like my results with lesser weight bullets that often provided sub-MOA 5-shot groups at 100 yds.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Charlie U » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:29 am

For this deer season I am probably going to say with the Hornady Black ammo. Of the factory ammo I have tried it gives me best accuracy. I still have reservations about cup/core separation and will continue to search for better alternatives. The Federal 300 grainers didn't make the cut.
Charlie U

Postby Hubcap500 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:57 pm

Please ID these bullets. Thanks for the nice sections and pix.

Image[/quote]
Hubcap500

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles