My first 450 bushmaster ,I would like to know What upper ?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

My first 450 bushmaster ,I would like to know What upper ?

Postby All Thumbs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:46 pm

I built an AR 308 , and a 300 Blackout , but now I want to go up to the 450 Bushmaster . I am starting with a stripped Billet lower , but I want to buy a complete upper . I don't have very deep pockets , but I would like a good upper . Can someone point me in the right direction . I would like to get something in the $650. to $800. range . Somewhere in between would be great .

TIA
All Thumbs

Re: My first 450 bushmaster ,I would like to know What upper

Postby 303hunter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:20 pm

There’s a Bushmaster brand upper for sale in the Market section of the forum right now for a good price.

Since you’ve built other uppers, build the 450 too. I’ve recently finished my 2nd upper, and both shoot sub moa. When you build your own, you get exactly what parts/features you want without having to change stuff later on a pre built upper.

Building a 450 is basically the same as others, with the exception of the upper receiver itself. The ejection port is opened slightly for the larger cartridge. I used Aero XL on both mine. They cost a bit over $300 each to build.
303hunter

Postby All Thumbs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:43 pm

303hunter wrote:There’s a Bushmaster brand upper for sale in the Market section of the forum right now for a good price.

Since you’ve built other uppers, build the 450 too. I’ve recently finished my 2nd upper, and both shoot sub moa. When you build your own, you get exactly what parts/features you want without having to change stuff later on a pre built upper.

Building a 450 is basically the same as others, with the exception of the upper receiver itself. The ejection port is opened slightly for the larger cartridge. I used Aero XL on both mine. They cost a bit over $300 each to build.

Thank you very much for your help , and your input on building the upper from scratch . What Barrel would you suggest ? Both the barrels I used before were from Black Hole Weaponry . The 308 was a 20" heavy match target , and the 300 Black was a 16" heavy match target . Both barrels are awesome . Black Hole Doesn't make a barrel for the 450 Bushmaster .
All Thumbs

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:18 pm

Whatever barrel you choose, go with a 20", 1:24 twist, mid-length gas system one. Balances nice and gets the boom further away from you. Any number of quality barrel manufacturers will make you a 450b barrel these days. Pick a price point and look around to see what that gets you. Hint: You get what you pay for. Figure around $300 for a quality barrel and matching bolt.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby All Thumbs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:44 pm

Hoot wrote:Whatever barrel you choose, go with a 20", 1:24 twist, mid-length gas system one. Balances nice and gets the boom further away from you. Any number of quality barrel manufacturers will make you a 450b barrel these days. Pick a price point and look around to see what that gets you. Hint: You get what you pay for. Figure around $300 for a quality barrel and matching bolt.

Hoot

Hoot Thank you very much for your input . Do you have any suggestions for Barrel and matching Bolt Combo ?
All Thumbs

Postby bushmeister » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:17 pm

While 20" is best for punching paper and getting a few more fps, if you intend on carrying it through the woods or hunting with it, the 16" is pretty sweet!
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:56 pm

All Thumbs wrote: Hoot Thank you very much for your input . Do you have any suggestions for Barrel and matching Bolt Combo ?

While there's a plethora of companies offering quality 18" barrel/bolt combos, 20 inchers are few and far between. Inquire to Brenton USA namely Bart the owner and see if he'll sell you just a barrel/bolt combo. Tell him Hoot sent you.The quality is outstanding and they do offer a 20" 1:24 SS barrel with the mid-length gas system. I know they sell complete uppers but they might sell you just the barrel/bolt combo. You won't know unless you ask. Also, whatever upper receiver you choose, if its not a side charger, make sure you get one with a forward assist. Priceless when hunting. As for carrying a 20" in the field. I'm no featherweight by any stretch of the imagination and the additional length doesn't bother me in the field. Then again I use a (dated) Safari Sling on mine. Hangs effortlessly at the ready. Heck, my cold weather boots weigh almost as much. Their complete uppers are pretty pricey, outside the comfort zone of most folks, but you won't find a finer finished AR 450b rifle, without going the custom built route. Hurt once for a firearm that will outlast you.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:19 am

All Thumbs wrote:
303hunter wrote:There’s a Bushmaster brand upper for sale in the Market section of the forum right now for a good price.

Thank you very much for your help , and your input on building the upper from scratch . What Barrel would you suggest ? Both the barrels I used before were from Black Hole Weaponry . The 308 was a 20" heavy match target , and the 300 Black was a 16" heavy match target . Both barrels are awesome . Black Hole Doesn't make a barrel for the 450 Bushmaster .

BHW does make 450B barrels, I have a 12.5” and 20” from them. They are not cheap, and take about 2-3 months to get. They are sold under Columbia River Arms.

As Hoot mentioned, $300 for a barrel and bolt is a good price point for quality. Couple of brands in that range are Satern, Gryphon, and Tromix. Quite a few here have ran them, and they have good track records. I have an 18” Tromix, because I wanted a lighter weight build. I have been very happy with it.
Bmt85

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:53 am

I can't say enough about Gryphon. Have two buds with their barrels and very very happy they are. https://gryphontradingllc.com/shop?olsP ... bushmaster

Fixed Link - Hoot
Al in Mi

Postby All Thumbs » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:44 am

Al in Mi wrote:I can't say enough about Gryphon. Have two buds with their barrels and very very happy they are. https://gryphontradingllc.com/shop?olsP ... bushmaster

Fixed Link - Hoot

Thank you , The Gryphon really looks good , thank you for the link , and input . I may just go with a complete upper from them . I'm still trying to figure out what stock , buffer tube , spring , and buffer I'm going to get.
All Thumbs

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles