New 450 lead free ammo

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New 450 lead free ammo

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:10 am

Seen this ammo in local LGS flyer this morning, price not bad at $30 a box for lead free.

https://fortscottmunitions.com/products ... rifle-ammo
Al in Mi

Re: New 450 lead free ammo

Postby teddy_d » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:32 am

Interesting theory for a hunting bullet aka Tumbling technology.

When a company is Promoting "busting through brush" they are simply promoting unethical shooting of game imho. The statement of superior match grade accuracy coupled with busting through brush should be rather unsettling to anyone that has studied marksmanship, ballistics, ethical shot placement.

Maybe I'm behind the times in math, applied physics and modern hunting practices?
teddy_d

Postby plant_one » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 am

im kinda with teddy on this one. marketing to hunters about taking chancy shots thru brush from a magic bullet... not responsible.

also.. the idea of relying on a bullet being both extremely stable in flight and tumbling on impact for a non expanding projectile just doesnt add up to me. especially when they come to shooting through brush. *ANYTHING* you impact during the flight path is going to move that bullet off its trajectory. slower, heavier will tend to move/deflect less, but they're still being deflected to some amount.

i could easily be totally wrong on the tumble being 100% reliable... but it sounds a bit like gimmicky marketing to me. just because its patented doesnt mean its reliable or consistent. you can patent and trademark a turd in a box if you wanted to, but you're still stuck trying to pick up a turd by the clean end to take it out of the box.
plant_one

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:41 am

would have to see some gel test on them to find out for sure. About the only way a bullet could do that is if only 1-2 petals opened causing it to grab and turn. Had that happen more then once with the old Federal/Barnes 12ga slugs.

Personally think the brush busting thing is all marketing hype, heck gun writers have even touted that with roundnose bullets.
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:29 pm

they have gel tests on youtube - however no highspeed - or highspeed enough that its showing the actual tumble. and what they focus on is the TEMPORARY wound cavity with all of them. not the permanant wound cavity.

there is wound channel disruption, so they appear to be doing something - but as to what, not sure.

their 223 tests are pretty underwhelming, at least as far as the permanent wound channel.

this is their "tumbler" ammo, 62gr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtZ1NazifJs

vs m855 penetrator 62gr nato fmj ammo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBdVGJT5ezY

depending on bullet yaw on impact is dicey proposition at best. its what the origional m16 design was based on working, and we all remember how many complaints there were about that.
plant_one

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:55 pm

Not a fan of relying on yawing to do damage, especially if your not fragging.

Also, the way I look at this, I don't think the yawing for this bullet is going to be all that great. From what I have seen from other cartridges, Yawing relies quite a bit on spin rate (or lack thereof) and a bullet that is heavy in the rear. Usually the longer the bullet, and the more streamline (higher b.c.), the better. With this bullet, it looks like it has a short nose, so being a 250gr, .45 caliber bullet, I'm guessing that it will go deeper before yawing. On top of that, I'm guessing the stability in a 1:24 twist might not be too bad, but in say a Ruger American with a 1:16 twist, it will probably penetrate even further before yawing. That's just my theory on it. I'd like to see actual gel tests done on it, but honestly not expecting much. Even if it performs great, I still wouldn't use it, but to each there own.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:06 pm

If they sell just the bullet, I'll do a range report including water shots. Haven't had much to contribute this season...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Hoot wrote:If they sell just the bullet, I'll do a range report including water shots. Haven't had much to contribute this season...

Hoot

Turns out they do for about a buck apiece (.458) but their web site doesn't have the ,452 listed yet. I inquired just now. Will report if/When they will include the .452 bullets. Might need a member to go in halfsies with me on a box of 50 however. I love you guys but not that much. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:35 am

Hoot wrote:
Hoot wrote:If they sell just the bullet, I'll do a range report including water shots. Haven't had much to contribute this season...

Hoot

Turns out they do for about a buck apiece (.458) but their web site doesn't have the ,452 listed yet. I inquired just now. Will report if/When they will include the .452 bullets. Might need a member to go in halfsies with me on a box of 50 however. I love you guys but not that much. ;)

Hoot

They emailed me saying that they are available for purchase in boxes of 50 for around $49.00 a box.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:15 pm

I'll be your huckleberry ;)

PM me your addy again.
Al in Mi

Return to AR15 Style Rifles