Dnr range island lake

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Dnr range island lake

Postby teddy_d » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:36 pm

We're heading out to the island lake dnr state range Thursday October 10, 9 am if anyone has time to come out and play "pew pew thump thump".
teddy_d

Re: Dnr range island lake

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:37 pm

If it was closer and on a weekend, I’d probably be there. Lol
Bmt85

Postby teddy_d » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:21 am

Sorry I meant 9:30, gates open at 10am.
teddy_d

Postby plant_one » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:39 am

i'd recommend pontiac lake instead of island lake.

the RSO's at island lake can be a bit... uptight - and from what i've been told by friends who still go there, this time of year with all the bubbb'as getting their deer guns ready - they can get a lot worse.

i had an absolutely terrible experience there and i've never been back. i had a RSO come running over to me while i was waiting for a lane to open because i opened my case and was taking some targets out and my sharpie to pre-mark to be efficient on the firing line because it was busy.

he threatened to throw me out for having an uncased firearm off the firing line. he was yelling at the top of his lungs. inside my case was a disassembled ar. it never left the case and the lid was open less than 60 seconds lol
me: "relax man, its in n two pieces. its unable to fire like it is. i'm just getting paper targets out" (showed him the targets in my hand)
rso: "weell you could have"
me: "what about those dudes walking down the trail (from the sporting clays range toward the clubhouse) with their guns on their shoulders uncased" ( im talking 4 guys with shotguns on their shoulders like 50' from where im getting screamed at)
rso: "dont be a smartass or you're out of here right f'ing now"
me: cya, dont need this kind of abuse.

i dont know if he was just having a bad day or what, but i dont tolerate that kind of stupidity and abuse in my life. especially when you get caught being an obvious hypocrite about the "rules". i mean hell when i got there there was a guy inside the clubhouse with a shotgun leaning against the desk paying for his fee's and another walking across the parking lot to his ride to leave. :roll: :roll: :roll:
plant_one

Postby teddy_d » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:44 pm

plant_one wrote:i'd recommend pontiac lake instead of island lake.

the RSO's at island lake can be a bit... uptight - and from what i've been told by friends who still go there, this time of year with all the bubbb'as getting their deer guns ready - they can get a lot worse.

i had an absolutely terrible experience there and i've never been back. i had a RSO come running over to me while i was waiting for a lane to open because i opened my case and was taking some targets out and my sharpie to pre-mark to be efficient on the firing line because it was busy.

he threatened to throw me out for having an uncased firearm off the firing line. he was yelling at the top of his lungs. inside my case was a disassembled ar. it never left the case and the lid was open less than 60 seconds lol
me: "relax man, its in n two pieces. its unable to fire like it is. i'm just getting paper targets out" (showed him the targets in my hand)
rso: "weell you could have"
me: "what about those dudes walking down the trail (from the sporting clays range toward the clubhouse) with their guns on their shoulders uncased" ( im talking 4 guys with shotguns on their shoulders like 50' from where im getting screamed at)
rso: "dont be a smartass or you're out of here right f'ing now"
me: cya, dont need this kind of abuse.

I dont know if he was just having a bad day or what, but i dont tolerate that kind of stupidity and abuse in my life. especially when you get caught being an obvious hypocrite about the "rules". i mean hell when i got there there was a guy inside the clubhouse with a shotgun leaning against the desk paying for his fee's and another walking across the parking lot to his ride to leave. :roll: :roll: :roll:

My first experience there, I don't plan on going back and paying $15 to shoot. The Sharonville range is proudly paid for by tax dollars and is free to everyone! Very cool COs I might add imho.

I did have a good experience shooting and learned a couple of things:
Quick change scope mounts DO NOT always hold zero or even close to zero. AR10-.308....
Willing participants have the ability to take advice, apply it and perform better in as little as 3 rounds fired.

I'd post a photo but i'm not capable of using what ever thing you use to post photos here..... :roll:

I did shoot some Federal 245 grain factory ammo and was surprised at its accuracy for a 5 round group. I would definitely consider this ammo before the FTX 250 factory if you have had misfortune with the Hornady as far as performance for an ethical kill. The Federal produced a 5 round, 2" group at 100yds, gun resting on my back pack on the bench, 3x32 Nikon BDC AR compact scope, Bushmaster 20" barrel factory rig, Magpul collapsable stock, Rockriver 2 stage trigger. No frills rifle that has basically been flawless for me.

Train/practice how you will actually shoot in the field or you might be very disappointed with your results. :ugeek:

The plinking handloads are 35 grains LG FTX, shoot 2" or less all day, the 38 grain load is also spot on...
teddy_d

Postby plant_one » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:15 pm

ya pontiac lake is only $4

multi-lakes is a nice range (200 yd berm too) but they're $12 i think for non members.
plant_one

Postby teddy_d » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:47 pm

plant_one wrote:ya pontiac lake is only $4

multi-lakes is a nice range (200 yd berm too) but they're $12 i think for non members.

I'm down on the edge of Washtenaw and Lenawee county.

Sharonville is a 20 minute drive and FREE. Well our tax dollars paid for it so I'm gonna use it as much as possible.
teddy_d

Postby plant_one » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:53 am

dont blame ya. if it was that close i would too.

kind of like rose lake up near bath... - just need the park pass and you're good (or it was that way when i was there last)

im only about 15 mins from pontiac lake, and like a half mile from multi lakes. takes me longerr to pack my gear up in the truck than it does to drive there :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby teddy_d » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Not to shabby for an AR.

200 yards, prone, 3x compact nikon scope.

Barnes copper crushes.
Hornady FTX always shoots a tight group.
Attachments
450.JPG
450.JPG (48.73 KiB) Viewed 9174 times
teddy_d

Return to AR15 Style Rifles