FTX to the side, looking for new projectile. Which one?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

FTX to the side, looking for new projectile. Which one?

Postby SecondChance » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:49 am

I was loading the 225 FTX in my 460 and the 250 FTX in my Bushy Ristol, pistol/rifle. I have not been pleased with the performance of these projectiles. I am now looking for 1 projectile to possibly load in both. I have a box of XTP-Mags sitting there. 240grn l believe. I will be mainly shooting whitetails with them, then hogs. Hogs will be headshot if possible.
Shots for both will be under 150yds. Not trying to spend the money on rounds like the deep curl. Too expensive for me for l like to plink/practice with what l hunt with to learn it.
SecondChance

Re: FTX to the side, looking for new projectile. Which one?

Postby Huuktonshooting » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:53 am

I am in the same boat. Just got in a batch of 250 Speer deep curls. Loading them boat for 450 bushmaster and 460 S&W. Deep curls are on clearance.. I have some 240 xtp mags as well. Won’t have results until the new year.

Also got in a mold from NOE.. results to come !
Huuktonshooting

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:34 am

Huuktonshooting wrote:I am in the same boat. Just got in a batch of 250 Speer deep curls. Loading them boat for 450 bushmaster and 460 S&W. Deep curls are on clearance.. I have some 240 xtp mags as well. Won’t have results until the new year.

Also got in a mold from NOE.. results to come !

In 9 years reloading for the 450b, unlike the FTX family, I have never been able to get any brand or weight of hollow points to produce 5-shot, 100yd groups of the same small size. 3 out of 5 shots sure but never 5 out of 5. IMHO, any projectiles shot out of the 450b at modest to heavy, safe velocities are more than lethal enough for my needs. So, as a justification for the more than 2k reloads sent downrange, I chose accuracy as an indicator of success. For deer hunting at deep woods distances (where I hunted), accuracy of any bullet I've ever tried, would have been more than adequate.

Despite killing my share of milk jugs full of water to test expansion, I've only killed one deer for all the times I took my 450b out. I began to think that the deer had advanced knowledge of my schedule and simply avoided me. ;)

As I have lost all the feeling in my legs, below my shins, I don't go deer hunting anymore. I'm too proud to hunt from any kind of vehicle and if I did, that wouldn't help when it came time to track and drag them out anyway. So I'm relegated to testing at the local range and getting satisfaction from reading of other member's hunting successes.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby SecondChance » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:19 pm

I like the FTX family of projectiles, dont get me wrong. But l am just looking for a common projectile for both. Not trying to feed 2 similar animals animals different projectiles if l can get by with the same for both.
The 225 FTX is too thin skinned for the 460 at any kind of velocities. Am still working on the 450. Am new to this beast. I guess l will send the 225s down the road and just start working on the 250s and see what l get. Stock up on Lil Gun and l have PLENTY of H110/296 and see what happens. Disregard the XTPs l suppose for the distances l am looking at.
SecondChance

Postby Huuktonshooting » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Sounds like I should save those deep curls for hunting , once sighted in and plink with my PC cast . Thanks for the insight Hoot.
Huuktonshooting

Postby offrink » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:25 pm

While my reloading wisdom is not as extensive as hoot’s I have to agree. 5 shots in 5” group, sure. Speer deep curl I got doe to 3” groups. Barnes bullets got down to 3/4” groups. All would be lethal on critters. I could have gotten much better as I shot as well due to knowing the gun and recoil better.

Hoot, I have neuropathy in my legs too. Last tested at 60% at right knee 40% at left and working down to 80% in my feet. Ain’t drop toe a b*tch! Been over 5 years and it took me two years to learn not to trip barefoot in 5” tall grass and sprain my toes/foot and turning the whole foot purple!
offrink

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:16 am

Just got a Hornady mailer that lists their new 245 grain Interlock boolit as a component, not sure if its actually on the shelf anywhere yet...

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/4 ... 5-gr-sp#!/
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby SecondChance » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:48 am

commander faschisto wrote:Just got a Hornady mailer that lists their new 245 grain Interlock boolit as a component, not sure if its actually on the shelf anywhere yet...

Thanks Commander!!! That for sure is a good looking round they have came up with!! Now just to get my hands on some and see how they perform in my 450 Bushy and 460 Smith. Just bought a 8lb jug of H110 this weekend!!!
SecondChance

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:49 pm

Excellent...let us know how it works out.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:04 pm

SecondChance wrote:
commander faschisto wrote:Just got a Hornady mailer that lists their new 245 grain Interlock boolit as a component, not sure if its actually on the shelf anywhere yet...

Thanks Commander!!! That for sure is a good looking round they have came up with!! Now just to get my hands on some and see how they perform in my 450 Bushy and 460 Smith. Just bought a 8lb jug of H110 this weekend!!!

Isn't these them?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021205831?pid=423499

EDIT: Free shipping if you order two boxes(at least through this weekend)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles