This windham magazine should be universal right?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

This windham magazine should be universal right?

Postby racoon32 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:36 pm

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/8448670-5-450/

its universal for the AR platform right or is it just for there thumper model?
have any of all tried this mag and how was it?
thank yyou!
racoon32

Re: This windham magazine should be universal right?

Postby Hoot » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:07 pm

Welcome Aboard Racoon!

While I've never used their magazines, I have to say that I'm not thrilled over them being aluminum. The 450b relies heavily upon having the feed lips set just so, in order for them to operate reliably. Aluminum wouldn't get my first vote over steel for long term tolerance adhesion. Just sayin...

Windham holds a special place in my heart as they were the "left-behinds" when Bushmaster sold out to Remington's parent company and moved out of town. No doubt, one of them worked on my original Bushmaster 20" upper back in 2010.

I'll sit back and see if any of the members can speak more as a result of personal experience with those mags.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby rkc000 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:34 pm

Hoot wrote:Welcome Aboard Racoon!

While I've never used their magazines, I have to say that I'm not thrilled over them being aluminum. The 450b relies heavily upon having the feed lips set just so, in order for them to operate reliably. Aluminum wouldn't get my first vote over steel for long term tolerance adhesion. Just sayin...

Windham holds a special place in my heart as they were the "left-behinds" when Bushmaster sold out to Remington's parent company and moved out of town. No doubt, one of them worked on my original Bushmaster 20" upper back in 2010.

I'll sit back and see if any of the members can speak more as a result of personal experience with those mags.

Hoot

what magazine would you recommend? what do you use?
rkc000

Postby racoon32 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:36 pm

Hoot

got it! thanks! yea i was looking for a magazine i can just buy where i dont have to buy a feeder it just comes one with it, and i thought this would be a good choice becuase of the name.
racoon32

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:15 pm

racoon32 wrote:https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/8448670-5-450/

its universal for the AR platform right or is it just for there thumper model?
have any of all tried this mag and how was it?
thank yyou!

This magazine is for the 450BM and is not universal for the AR. The follower is single stack for the 450BM round, whereas general purpose AR mags are double (or staggered) stack, with a protrusion on the follower off to the side to align the first staggered round loaded into the mag.

I have never shopped for a 450BM specific magazine, but have rather used standard issue AR mags, some without even changing out the follower. I have used steel and poly, and both seem to work fine. Straight mags (20 round or fewer 5.56) work better than curved 30 round mags with the straight wall 450BM cartridge.

Hoot has a point about aluminum, but I would not discount the Wyndam mags on that basis until I had tried one. They have a good reputation and I trust them not to sell a substandard product.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:08 pm

I have many brands of 450b mags. Almost all required tweaking to run reliably. Many of the steel magazines for the 450b or otherwise, while sold under different brand names, are made by the same OEM. The only mag I've used reliably out of the box was the one that came with my Bartz upper. They're not cheap however. Tweaking less expensive 450b mags to run reliably is not rocket science. There are plenty of accounts about it here. Even a YouTube video or two. I have half a dozen AR Stoner mags that now run as reliable as the Bartz. I'm not an urban guerilla, so I don't go for the hi capacity versions. If I can't put an animal down with 5 shots, its time to leave and go to a range.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby befus » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:22 am

Hoot

Maybe I missed it, but I followed the link and it indicated the mags were stainless steel?
Befus
NRA Life Member
US Army 1969-1972
Patriot
befus

Postby Hoot » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:06 pm

Now that's the kind of stuff that worries me. I wouldn't usually think Aluminum when I think of an AR mag, so that had to come from somewhere. Wonder if someone who works there saw my mention and corrected their web page. If not then I'm in deeper weeds than I thought. :roll:

Hoot
Hoot

Return to AR15 Style Rifles