Newb checking in - build or buy?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Newb checking in - build or buy?

Postby jd2395 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:43 am

Hello - not new to AR15 platform, but new to 450B. I have dabbled in everything from 5.56, 6.8SPC, 6.5G, 300BLK, to 22LR in the AR platform and also the small frame .308 AR family and have owned a mix of rifles I have built from parts to factory Colt, Daniel Defense, and everything in between.

With the series of events ready to happen in my beloved Virginia, looking to finally pick up a "big bore" AR upper and have settled on 450 Bushmaster, primarily after looking into factory ammo availability and cost (I do not reload). I am looking to acquire a 16" upper, complete.

I have hit the debate of "build or buy" WRT 450B. I have plenty of lowers with varying buffer weights to play around with from carbine to H3 so I just need the upper.

I found a Windham upper: https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/produc ... 6sfsb-450/ that looks pretty solid at $700 (maybe less if I can find one via dealer vs. direct).

There appears to be a pretty well thought of combo from Brownells (Faxon 16" barrel plus bolt plus flash hider at $320). I'd need to add a big bore upper receiver ($85), a bolt carrier (maybe $60-$70), gas tube, gas block (maybe $40-$50), then finally a rail ($100-$150+ for a decent MLOK), then, assemble it and make sure it works and tune it if not. So somewhere in the $600-$650 range plus assembly time, so not much cheaper vs. factory.

I am not going to gamble on Bear Creek or anything super-cheap as the "too good to be true" for me has never worked out well. I also see that the Brownells barrel (Made by Faxon I believe) is a 1 in 16 vs. the Windham that is 1 in 24. I plan on shooting factory ammo only, no suppressor/subs, so does that really matter?

I'd love expert input on the comparison above as I am sure I am missing some options somewhere. I have seen some random, never heard of companies that build 450B uppers, but I'd rather stick with parts I know/trust or a factory upper from a reputable company.

Thanks!
jd2395

Re: Newb checking in - build or buy?

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:54 pm

Midway USA has several optics ready 450 BM uppers available, all at reduced prices. The least expensive is this 16" barrel model https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019500940?pid=466691 at $322. All I would do to it is replace the handguard, but that is my preference only.

You can see the whole line-up at https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=450+bushmaster+upper&userItemsPerPage=48&uac=true.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:16 pm

Look up Gryphon Trading, have had 4 of their barrels and they flat out shoot.
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:27 pm

AR Stoner are using BCA barrels (probably other parts,too) if I remember correctly.

There are a lot of good options available, as fully built uppers, or parts. I usually build, because I want them a certain way.

If you're interested, I might be looking to sell my 16" Bushmaster factory upper.
Bmt85

Postby sakremer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:05 pm

GLFA 18 inch uppers are very good and inexpensive.
Just add the upper to an existing lower and you have a low cost solution.
sakremer

Postby jd2395 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:43 pm

for those hanging on the edge of your seats, I bought a Bushmaster 16" upper from a member here. I took it apart and now have it set up with a ALG Defense MLOK rail and a hand-me-down 4-14 Athlon Optics FFP scope. It is now a cool "Bazooka Green" color.

I have some Hornady American Gunner 250gr FTX inbound, and am now looking to pick up some Federal Fusion 260gr (https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/fu ... BMFS1.html) as I am familiar with hunting with other Fusion offers (6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .308). Anyone have any experience with this ammo? I am not a reloader, so limited to factory. Looking to have something to hunt with that does not require too much adjustment vs. the 250gr FTX I bought.

Thanks!
jd2395

Postby Pacheco » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:51 pm

Build.
I recently put my 450bm upper together but now its shipped off to Randall so wont be seeing it any time soon.
But the faxon barrel is so damn good. I also got to mess with my own buffer components and swapped to a pws EBCG so the extra weight makes it smoother.
Long story short you'll be happy if you build.
Pacheco

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:00 am

Look. The Windham plant used to be the original 450 bushmaster plant. If I was going to buy another upper only, I would most definitely consider a Wyndham upper. My 450 bushmaster upper was built in that same plant back in 2011 when it was still owned by bushmaster and not a part of freedom group. Windham weaponry is an amazing story, because after Remington/freedom group bought out bushmaster, they shut the Windham Maine plant down. that put a bunch of people out of work. The original owner of bushmaster decided to re-open the plant and they change the name to Windham weaponry. So if you want an original 450 bushmaster from the original plant. Windham weaponry is the perfect choice. Plus you’re most likely get a one and 24 twist barrel and that’s what you will want if you want to mimic most of our load experiments from 2010 to date. but if you’re dead set against buying anything from Windham weaponry, Also check out Franklin Armory. Jay who is one of the owners has treated me right on many occasions during my builds. If you end up talking to him, tell him that I sent you.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to AR15 Style Rifles