450b subsonic?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

450b subsonic?

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:24 pm

Anybody know why one would want a subsonic 450b load? They are currently available, for some reason... :?:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Re: 450b subsonic?

Postby coyote wacker » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:18 am

Do not know if the Hornady will function in a AR-15...

Myself I like hunting with sub-sonic loads. Sort of like bowhunting with a gun, its only a short range load. When I first started was shooting sub-sonic using Cutting Edge Bullets 240gr. Flat Base Handgun Raptor with a plastic tip added. It would expand down to 800 fps that limited shots to 75 yards. Now I"am shooting Makers 425 gr. bullet at 50 yards its 1.5" high 100 yards its 2" low. When it warms up I'll be doing some "wet paper" expansion tests.
coyote wacker

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:22 pm

Ok...cool.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby plant_one » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:50 pm

for those that have a 45 cal suppressor... why not? being able to shoot subs would be a hoot with this big bore caliber.

friend that hunts with us has a silencerco hybrid 46, and another buddy just got his locked into NFA jail last week... i cant wait to try some subs out with them!

i hope they release that sub-x bullet soon. i'm sure they'll cycle with 1680 - that powder makes a lot of gas. 4227 is pretty volumus too. one of the two should be able to cycle - especially on the 20" carbine gassed barrels.

i'm betting the BCA 18" mid gas barrels might not even need an AGB to cycle normal with full house loads.
plant_one

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:02 pm

Aah...good idea! I hadn't even thought about getting the boolits for reloading purposes. I assume the standard 1/24 twist rate will stabilize them well enough...I'm sure Federal tested for such.

(BTW, my wife walked by and was reading this over my shoulder...she decided I must eat a lot of 1680... :shock:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 am

My wife had me at the first mention of Horney-De! Image

Unfortunately, even the "Good Cookin" didn't last. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Robert FL » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:58 pm

Coyote Wacker, I am also wanting to try the Maker 450 BM ammo in my AR. I do have some maker 85 grain for my 6.5 Grendel AR but did not shoot anything with it other than paper targets on plywood. I got them late in hunting season and had already taken 9 hogs for our freezer. You said you were going to shoot wet paper for expansion tests. I seem to remember reading that Makers don't expand in certain media's by design. I think paper books & magazines, glass windshields were included..something about the bullet being barrier blind??? I saw some YouTube videos of B-gel being shot with Maker bullets and results were very nice, bullet expanded about 3x and retained 100% weight.
Robert FL

Postby plant_one » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:49 pm

wetpack typically from everything i read about it gives results quite similar to gel, at least in regards to expansion.

when you soak newspaper long enough it bacisally turns into mushy pulp. and thats part of the process - you load it up in a box lined with a plastic bag and let it soak for about a day, adding water until it basically wont take anymore without it being a box of water. its not something you just hit with the hose and a few mins later go shooting into.

is it a perfect substitute for meat? no. but for those of us who want to do some at least semi-realistic testing in a media thats available and common it can give some good basic results, is easily repeatable with different bullets, and is readily made and affordable.
plant_one

Postby Robert FL » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Mush paper like you describe should work and when that 250 grain 450 BM hits it it should make a big mess..I have only shot hogs, coyote and deer and never recovered a bullet since they passed thru, I think Maker was likely talking about wet/damp paper, they say something about it on their fax page. I would like to make a suppressor for my rifle once I get Federal approval and tax stamp in hand, I have to get my finger prints and $200 to them and e-file the form. I took the comp off my 16 inch barrel 2 years ago and put a Tromix linear comp on end of barrel. It did help with ears but I would like more sound reduction. 90% of my shots on game are less than 30 yards so the sub rounds should work well.
Robert FL

Postby plant_one » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:23 pm

i only wish i had my 450 when i made my form1 can. i would love to be suppressed. just have other stuff for the fun budget to cover at the moment than waiting a year for another stamp.
plant_one

Return to AR15 Style Rifles