Bushmaster upper ejection issue

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Bushmaster upper ejection issue

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Take a sharpie and black the extractor front half. Hand cycle a cartridge in, FA the bolt into place (if necessary), then hand cycle it out and see where the extractor contacts anything. That "hump" takes the place of the bolt lug that would be there if there wasn't an extractor. It should engage the barrel extension like the other lugs do. It definitely looks like it has been either polished by hand or by use. The gradual hook nose should slide over the rims a lot easier. That having been said. Looking at the image, it appears that either extractor would work. The one on the right needs some cycling to polish the surfaces. Other than that I like the more precise machining job on the right extractor, along with a deeper rim groove. An old trick from way back when, for using a 7.62x39 extractor was to relieve a little of the bottom of it back behind the rim groove to keep the "hump" from catching on the barrel extension and either bending or more often, breaking. The extractor on the right has that executed very nicely. Not as much relief as the one on the left but not necessary since the "hump" isn't as tall. Very good interpretation IMHO.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Slayer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:15 pm

Yes, I did stone the bushmaster extractor a bit. It works, but isn't as reliable as the Windam. Will try that with a sharpie and see what gives.
I have some fine slitting saw blades that I could widen the groove out a little too. The diameter on the blade may be a bit bigger than the groove radius, but would work.
The quality on the bushmaster upper overall isn't bad. Some little things here and there. Chatter on the inside of the charging handle. Didn't notice it for quite awhile. Windam Weaponry definitely takes great care to do things right. And I'm not affiliated with them in any way, nor the folks at Trident Arms. They both do good work. I have done my own stuff for many years. But have seen and handled both shops work. Doing work for ones self,
Thats the fun part of the hobby. Theres almost always a way to get through a project. Just takes thought and patience. And lots of tools...
Will try the bushmaster extractor tomorrow with a sharpie. Peaks my interest.
slayer. Burnham, Maine
Slayer

Postby Slayer » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:40 pm

The bushmaster extractor bumps the barrel extension, did the sharpie test. Hits right on the radius where i stoned it. The highest spot in the photo of the bushy extractor on the left. Gave some ejection issues as well. In my case the windam extractor works reliably in my setup. Realizing that there are quite a few variables that can cause jams, everyones setup and ammo a bit different. If is a new gun, and simple fixes dont remedy the issues? Ide drop it right back to the manufacturer that made it.
One would think they would pump some rounds through a rifle before selling it. Dummy rounds can find issues as well. Quality issues with a weapon would be of the highest priority for liability reasons. Again to say, one would think.
slayer. Burnham, Maine
Slayer

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:44 am

Slayer wrote:Man. My pics suck.

That extractor on the left is what sucks. :o
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Slayer » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:35 pm

I couldn't get the thing to work. Bad Craftsmanship for sure.
slayer. Burnham, Maine
Slayer

Postby Virgil Caine » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:21 am

I see this thread has not been updated in a while. Is it the general consensus that the cycling problem was the extractor? My buddy has a 450B and asked me to look at it because of cycling issues. I know nothing about 450B, but it appears many have cycling problems. He is going to drop it off this week. I almost feel I should go ahead and order the extractor from Windham before I even look at it. I initially thought it would be an issue of under gassing, but I am thinking differently after reading this thread. Great website and happy I found it. After trouble shooting gun, Maybe I will get one myself!
Virgil Caine

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles