Tier 1 450?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Tier 1 450?

Postby TacoTaco » Sat May 09, 2020 9:37 pm

Gents,
I’ve been shooting a 16” bushmaster .450 since they were first released back in ‘08 or ‘09, I forget the exact year at this point. It’s been a heck of a shooter, one of my more consistently accurate rifles that I own. Love the thing.

But I’m in the mood for something new and shiny, which got me wondering who currently makes the most high speed low drag, tier one, money is no object .450 these days. Who’s making the best barrels, complete uppers, and/or complete rifles????

I’ve heard good things about Tromix and Trident Arms, but curious if there’s anything else out there that might possibly be better.

By better I mean:
-Reliable
-Accurate

Thanks!
TacoTaco

Re: Tier 1 450?

Postby Hoot » Sat May 09, 2020 9:52 pm

TacoTaco wrote:Gents,
I’ve been shooting a 16” bushmaster .450 since they were first released back in ‘08 or ‘09, I forget the exact year at this point. It’s been a heck of a shooter, one of my more consistently accurate rifles that I own. Love the thing.

But I’m in the mood for something new and shiny, which got me wondering who currently makes the most high speed low drag, tier one, money is no object .450 these days. Who’s making the best barrels, complete uppers, and/or complete rifles????

I’ve heard good things about Tromix and Trident Arms, but curious if there’s anything else out there that might possibly be better.

By better I mean:
-Reliable
-Accurate

Thanks!

This!

I have one. I need no other. I have it mounted on my favorite lower. They don't get separated. Mine is a 20" only because they didn't have the 22" back when I got mine. Its also available in 18". Each one is hand fitted and thoroughly function tested with its magazine.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby TacoTaco » Sun May 10, 2020 8:31 am

Interesting. Curious though, why such a long Bbl? I’ve been operating under the premise that the 450’s fast burning powder needs meant a 14-18” Bbl was optimal. I assume you’re seeing noticeable velocity gains at 22”?
TacoTaco

Postby Hoot » Sun May 10, 2020 12:18 pm

TacoTaco wrote:Interesting. Curious though, why such a long Bbl? I’ve been operating under the premise that the 450’s fast burning powder needs meant a 14-18” Bbl was optimal. I assume you’re seeing noticeable velocity gains at 22”?

As I thought I implied, mine is a 20" because a 22" was not available when I got mine. Otherwise, I would have a 22". Most of my rifles have rifle length barrels. I'm not into pop guns when they can be avoided as I don't kick down doors for a living or engage in other CQB. Free velocity without pushing my loads to the critical edge ensures long case and bolt life.

Yes, Lil Gun, pushing a 250gr bullet hits its peak barrel pressure around 16" but who can't use an additional free 100+ fps? I'm a fan of solid stocks (A1 or A2) and the longer barrel balances just fine. Holds steadier off hand as well for me. I'm no bantam weight and don't mind heavier rifles. The number one (and cheapest) way to reduce perceived recoil is weight and likewise muzzle blast is reduced the further away from you it is. To summarize, I like long barrels, I cannot lie. Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby TacoTaco » Sun May 10, 2020 12:58 pm

Thank you Sir, this is good feedback. My days of kicking down doors are long since over, so I wouldn’t be opposed to a longer Bbl. As you stated, it’s essentially free velocity, especially when considering that most of its life will be spent married to a bipod on a bench.

~$1200 and change isn’t cheap, but it’s no more than you’d pay for an upper tier 5.56 AR. I’ll have to give them some thought.

I’ve been looking at the Savage Haymaker as well. Every Savage I own is a shooter, so I’ve got confidence that the accuracy would be there. Plus, the ability to push my loads to be a little spicier is intriguing as well. I did some work years ago with a 350gr Hornady Interlock in the .450 that I’d like to resurrect. It worked well out of my 16” Bushy, but I felt that it was pushing the outer limits of the platform. A bolt gun would provide more margin in that regard.
TacoTaco

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon May 11, 2020 2:08 pm

Franklin Armory.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to AR15 Style Rifles