To brake or not to brake?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: To brake or not to brake?

Postby offrink » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:12 am

I know I’m late to the thread but when I was hunting this year from a pop up blind I didn’t like the end results. It was extremely loud AND even though the muzzle was 6-8” outside the blind on a monopod it ripped the window that was folded down.
Attachments
4C23A742-5C80-438F-AE0C-7842ED1E31E4.jpeg
4C23A742-5C80-438F-AE0C-7842ED1E31E4.jpeg (91.96 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
offrink

Re: To brake or not to brake?

Postby cwlongshot » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:01 am

Mostly I hate brakes and flash hiders. 100% because of the re directed sound and blast. Cartritages with powder volume and bore dia like our 450/458's have this in spades.

IMHO recoil is a non issue. Sure its more then most any others in the MSR world. Its not excessive and the blast is more uncomfortable than the recoil. (For Me at least)

I discovered Kaw Valley Precision a number of years ago. I have turned many folks on to these wonderful lil muzzle devices. They are a sound mitigating device but as they do not at all reduce sound they are non regulated. The basically are a chamber a open chamber with a ported and vented opening. Ya can call the a "forwarder" ya can say that they are no different then a open muzzle. But until ya try one you would be misinformed. They disrupt the sound waves in a way to make shooting these shorter bbls MUCH more friendly. I have experienced ZERO POI shif with them. PLUS on a 16" or shoorter thel allow proper storage in your safes. ;)

They cost under 50$ they come in allow alum and steel and are offered for most calibers and threads.

I Just ordered a Short/STD Magnum 5/8-32 for this upper. They also have a 2.25" long version of same. Its small enough to fit inside the hand guard. Perfect for me as I like long HG and my barrel terminates INSIDE my handguard by about 1".

My bbl and bolt are Bear Creek bought from a buddy who only wanted side charging upper but was forced to buy complete upper and all they had at ghat time was a 450.

Anyhow, there are a number of videos on uTube showing this device. I love them. This one will Make 9 for me. I have them on most things I own with a threaded bbl!

CW

EDIT FOR LINK;
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Articl ... correction
cwlongshot

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles