Upper question...

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Upper question...

Postby cwlongshot » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:04 pm

I received my bbl, gas block, gas tube & bolt tonight. I had a upper and ol free float tube forend. Its lil heavy. But works for now.

I Got nut torqued & aligned.

I installed tube and set loc ring with tool I made to align pic rail.

I dis and cleaned then re assembled bolt/BCG. only a quick problem with FP retainer. I polished the top and it went right in!!

I do not have proper mags. But should be ok for couple rounds loaded in mags.

Durn thread @ muzzle is bastard thread. It appears 5/8x32. I hate comps and flash hiders. That concussive blast kills it gor me. ( Getting blown up in another life, does that yo ya..)

Any how here is my question....

Upper ejection port size... mine is just over .500.... seems small. Do I need a specific upper for this 450?????

CW
cwlongshot

Re: Upper question...

Postby s4s4u » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:11 pm

Aero and Anderson both offer XL uppers with oversize ejection ports. You can do it yourself as well.
s4s4u

Postby Hoot » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:09 am

DIY it with a dremel and a rotary stone or sanding drums. You want it bigger than the .500 case diameter for obvious reasons. .530 come to mind as a target and then only the front half of the port is necessary but you can go that diameter the entire way if it looks tidier in your eye.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:24 pm

5/8x32 is what bca uses. thats normal for them not a mistake.
plant_one

Postby cwlongshot » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:41 pm

Well... I ran it thru the mill!!

Disassembled everything. Took a lil time with a dremil to remove the door bosses and door. Then mounted and leveled it in the bridgeport. Fifteen minutes mater It was opened up to .650!

I just hit it with alumina black and re assembled. Bung bang boom three shells fed and ejected perfectly!!

CW
cwlongshot

Postby Hoot » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:42 pm

cwlongshot wrote:Well... I ran it thru the mill!!

Disassembled everything. Took a lil time with a dremil to remove the door bosses and door. Then mounted and leveled it in the bridgeport. Fifteen minutes mater It was opened up to .650!

I just hit it with alumina black and re assembled. Bung bang boom three shells fed and ejected perfectly!!

CW

Happiness is having access to a mill and lathe. Both of which I no longer have since my retirement (officially July 2nd). I have a hobby lathe and a floor drill press with an X-Y slide as a poor man's mill but not the same as the one at work. :(

Having unlimited time during the good shooting weather months, to go to the range at will: Priceless! No more weekend warrior or burning vacation for a quiet day at the range. Image

Luckily, most of my modding is behind me.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cwlongshot » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:12 am

Shot it yesterday. ZERO ISSUES associated with clearing empties!!

IMHO this is needed for reliability. A 223/556 opening is flat not reliable.

CW
cwlongshot

Return to AR15 Style Rifles