New Member - My Seekins/Wilson Combat build

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New Member - My Seekins/Wilson Combat build

Postby wrxified » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:52 pm

Hello all. Just wanted to introduce myself and share my 1st 450 BM build with the group. My name is Andrew. Been lurking for awhile and learned quite a bit from all of the members. Appreciate all of your knowledge that's been shared as it proved to be invaluable to me while piecing this together.

Quick bit about me. I'm 45, an avid outdoorsmen and long time hunter. Born and raised in West Michigan. This build started in part due to the fact that I've been using a Ruger American 450 BM since 2017. I jumped on the bandwagon when we opened up the opportunity to harvest our deer with the straight walled cartridges. At first it was the Ruger 77/44 which I really have grown fond of. After my dad and a couple buddy's started looking at the 450 Ruger American bolt action rifles I of course couldn't resist. Unfortunately my dealings with the bolt Ruger has been a love hate affair. When it works, it's like a masterpiece. When it doesn't, it's a huge let down. That said, I'm one of the unfortunate few that seems to have encountered numerous issues. Everything from constant feeding issues from the horrible mags, to light primer strikes while I had a trophy buck in my crosshairs. It's unfortunate because I've watched my son and friends grow to love and trust their Ruger Americans. For me, I've been looking to make a change pretty much from the day I bought the bolt action.

Enter the AR build option. I've always wanted to build a 450 BM sport rifle in the AR format. Recently my son and I built a Wilson Combat AR in .223 Wylde for his 18th birthday. It turned out incredibly well and of course that lit the fire for me while I was on the Wilson Combat site browsing. So I started piecing together parts from some of the various manufacturers. The meat of it comes from Seekins and Wilson Combat. We finished the build this past month and I couldn't be more excited for hunting season than I am right now. The deer on our land are no longer safe with me entering the season with this in my hands. :P

First thing I'd point out is that the Seekins receiver worked without modification to the ejection port. For whatever reason, it breaks all of the ejection port rules. This came as a huge surprise to us and I'm here to tell you, this upper receiver proves that you don't actually need a .60"+ ejection port to reliably eject spent 450 cases. The Seekins comes stock with a .53" opening front to back. I know this might sound too close for comfort but I've shot hundreds of rounds already through it and have had zero instances where the bolt failed to eject or return to battery. It tosses the spent cases perfectly at about 4 o'clock and doesn't even appear to make impact with the port on the way out. Call it dumb luck but it seems like Seekins got lucky with their slightly oversized port and the placement. It's funny too because they (Seekins) really had no idea that their receiver capable of running the 450 rounds through it as it sits. I'd love to get other peoples thoughts on this.

Enough rambling. Here is my new Bronze Beauty.

-Seekins IRMT-3 Billet Upper
    -Seekins SP223 Gen2 Billet Lower
    -Seekins SP3Rv3 15" M-Lok Rail
    -Midnight Bronze Cerakote from West Michigan Cerakote
    -Seekins Lower Builders Kit
    -Radian Talon Charge Handle
    -Daniel Defense Furniture (Mil Spec + Color, almost a dead nuts match to Midnight Bronze)
    -Wilson Combat .450 Bushmaster Build Kit (Includes the following)
    -16" Recon Tactical Fluted Barrel (1:24, RH, Six Groove, Precision Button Rifling)
    -Complete Bolt Carrier Assembly (Nickel Boron)
    -SLR Adjustable Gas Block (Wilson Branded)
    -Carbine Length Gas Tube
    -Wilson Combat Rapid Thread Muzzle Brake (also added their Rapid Thread Muzzle Brake Blast Diverter)
    -Lancer 10 rd FDE Smoke Mags
    -Tromix Followers
    -Trigger is the Wilson Combat Tactical Trigger Unit (TR-TTU-M2)
Wilson Combat sets the barrel to minimum headspace using a PTG chamber reamer. She's tight but has never failed to go back into battery. I've already put several hundred rounds in her this month. All Hornady Black 250g FTX. My shoulder was hurting a bit this past Saturday after our last run at the range. Not had a chance to send any rounds further than 150 yards yet but based on what we were seeing at that range with the 3" steel gong at 150 yards, and paper at 100 yards, I'm beyond thrilled with how she's performing so far.

wrxified

Re: New Member - My Seekins/Wilson Combat build

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:15 pm

Sweet and welcome aboard.
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:04 am

thats a good looking gun!
plant_one

Postby 303hunter » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:33 am

Looks great, congrats!