Revolver powder cycle success?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Revolver powder cycle success?

Postby Reiska » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:43 am

Hello.

A week ago I loaded with rapid pistol power. Loaded up to high pressures and vocal loads. No cycling.

Today, I loaded with slowish revolver powder 3N37. Took a dose proposed for 454 Casull and multiplied it by 1.5.
My load of the powder was 25 grains. An experiment with 27 grains showed slight symtoms of overpressure.
My AR showed no attempt to cycle.

Do I need to have a rifle powder to get my AR to cycle?

My rifle cycles perfectly with 40 grains rapid rifle powder N120.
Reiska

Re: Revolver powder cycle success?

Postby MOOSE EARS » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:56 am

Stop experimenting with powders that are not approved for the 450BM. Stick to known powders and loads within specified weights or your going to blow something up!
What the hell is rapid pistol powder?
MOOSE EARS

Postby Reiska » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:03 am

I would appreciate contributions related to the question asked.
Reiska

Postby Reiska » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:30 am

The following is a reference for those interested in using pistol powders in sub-powered training or poaching loads in rifles.
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html

Now, I would like to know what it takes for the AR to cycle..
Reiska

Postby plant_one » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:22 pm

Reiska wrote:
Now, I would like to know what it takes for the AR to cycle..

gas volume. thats what cycles AR's (in addition to pressure anyway). not enough gas produced = fail to cycle. thats how the bolt moves.

which most really fast pistol powders do not produce a lot of. you get a quick pressure spike but its not sustained, and the powders do not produce a lot of gas as they burn - or enough to move a BCG correctly anyway.

those powders burn formula's are designed to operate a blowback system - or not operate a gas system at all (wheel guns, etc etc) - not gas impingement systems. you can do some fun stuff in bolt guns with them, but nothing that requires a system to cycle like an AR does.

as such - the powders that tend to work well are usually classifed as magnum pistol and faster rifle rated powders (like your N120). stick with powders around that burn rate of the typicals you see used in this caliber (h110, n110, lil gun, 4227, 1680, shooters world blackout, shooters world socom, etc etc etc) and you'll be successful. venture too far off the farm and you'll get a failure - and potentially get into the realm of dangerous quickly.
plant_one

Postby Reiska » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:49 pm

Thank you very much.
Yes it appears I cannot get my AR to cycle with pistol powder, neither with revolver powder.
The loads are safe to fire but they do not reload the gun.

I cannot use rifle powders with cheap pistol bullets (probably, not tried yet).
At least according to specifications, they are not supposed to stand rifle velocities.
If that is the case, I need reload my AR by hand when practicing with bullets inteded for the .45 ACP.
That is not really a big issue in hunting practice since the first shot counts..
Reiska

Postby s4s4u » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:25 am

Try Lil Gun
s4s4u

Postby Reiska » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:12 am

"Try Lil Gun"

Thank you, I will.
Reiska

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:34 pm

Who said you can use any powders other than the ones listed in the Hornady manual? I don’t know where you’re getting your information, but you need to stop getting it from there and go straight to the Hornady manual and stick to it like glue. Stop experimenting.You’re going to hurt yourself or kill yourself. Stick to the Hornady manual. Use Lil Gun. This is not a pistol round this is a rifle round!!! This is not like any kind of pistol round. The parent cartridge itself is a high-powered rifle round the 284 Winchester. It’s SAAMI pressure is around 45,000PSI. The SAAMI spec for the 450 Bushmaster is 38,500PSI. If you think you’re messing around with something close to a 458 SOCOM or the BEOWULF you’re terribly misguided and you’re playing a dangerous game.
My advice to you is to stop what you’re doing right now.
Pick up a Hornady Manuel 10th or 11th edition.
Read it, cover to cover. I repeat...Read it, cover to cover.
After reading the manual, if you still feel you cannot follow the instructions on what powders to use, my advice is get a different hobby. Because we don’t want to see you or anyone else for that matter, getting seriously injured or killed.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby SAWMAN » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:04 pm

^^^^^ THIS !!! ---- SAWMAN
"Why just dance when you can rock and roll."
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN