first time out at the range

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

first time out at the range

Postby bomaster » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:55 am

Hi Folks I spent a great Sunday afternoon with my Sons and one Son -in- law We shot at 100 yards and ran about 60 rounds through the BCA upper, 18" barrel, nothing special about the upper, I have a feeding issue to work out this failure to feed occurred about 6 times . The empty was ejected but the next round was caught mid case as the next round was headed to the chamber. I was also using a drop in on top follower on top of a 223 follower , I am using a full rifle stock with a "rifle" style buffer so My thought was to take a weight out of it and see how it runs. Please add your thoughts !

the rifle produced some nice groups, I loaded some rounds with some IMR 4227 34.5 through 38. grains Starlite brass and CCI small rifle primer Hogden FTX 250 grain. I used Redding dies ( three dies set)
the higher grained loads produced a group of three touching and a group of two touching, with the third round,, about 1" away
the plan is to load the three recipes that seem to perform the best and head back to the range with those,

All he best !
bomaster

Re: first time out at the range

Postby plant_one » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:48 am

dont take weight out of it. theres no reason to reduce a standard 5.2 oz rifle buffer with this caliber.

i suspect you probably have a magazine issue more than anything. unfortunatly this caliber takes some modification for mags to work well, and we all wish it just took a single shot/big bore mag topper.

if you can get your hands on a ARSTONER 450bm mag at midway, me and my friends locally had good luck with them so far (several of us have them), so i'd recommend giving them a try.

that'd probably be the best place to start
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:29 pm

plant_one wrote:...snip...i suspect you probably have a magazine issue more than anything...snip...

+1

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bomaster » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:48 am

Thanks folks I will hunt up a astoner Mag..
bomaster

Postby Hoot » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:04 am

bomaster wrote:Thanks folks I will hunt up a astoner Mag..

There are only a few OEM magazine manufacturers in the US. The mag that came with your rig was probably made by the same OEM that makes the AR Stoner one. As most do, your mag may just need a little tweaking to get it to function reliably. There are plenty of threads in this sub-forum detailing what helps them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BIGDADDY » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:34 pm

A Dura Mag will fix it.
BIGDADDY

Postby bomaster » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:57 pm

Mine did not come with a mag. I bought a Stoner and will see how it runs,, Stand by
bomaster

Return to AR15 Style Rifles