AR build.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

AR build.

Postby Chris Stratton » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:00 pm

I bought a GLFA barrel/bolt kit. Any recommendations for a carrier to finish off the BCG? Not sure I will be running an adjustable gas block. Does the round enjoy a heavier BCG? Thanks for any conversation!
Chris Stratton

Re: AR build.

Postby Hoot » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:24 pm

Welcome Aboard Chris!

An adjustable gas block once adjusted will assure you that the force exerted upon the system and case will be just right. The devil is in the details however. If you pursue reloading or intend to use ammo of different power levels, I suspect you may find that with the gas system adjusted for a heavy load, will not properly cycle a lighter load. If you choose to go the heavier BCG route in order to be gentler on your cases, that problem may not manifest. I started out many years back adding weight to my BCG before I ever let the first round go down the barrel. It is detailed in This Thread. It has reliably cycled a wide range of loads with a standard mil-spec rifle spring and buffer weight. I like the fit of the A1 / A2 fixed stocks and have never employed a carbine spring and buffer, so I can't speak for how they work with a weighted BCG. Those members who have more experience than me with adjustable gas setups, feel free to weight in.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to AR15 Style Rifles