What is the optimum barrel length

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

What is the optimum barrel length

Postby offrink » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:28 pm

What is the optimum barrel length? Is it caliber based? I’m sure it is “mission” based. But what would be the best all around barrel length barrel in an AR platform for hitting what I want from a static position like a hunting stand or blind)? I find 16 and 18” easily and some as short as 7.5” but very few 20” and none longer.
offrink

Re: What is the optimum barrel length

Postby s4s4u » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:10 pm

You can get a 20" bushmaster barrel from CDNN. I did and plan to cut it down to 16" for handling. You don't lose much performance going from 20 to 16. In fact you don't lose a whole lot going shorter, but I don't want to deal with NFA crap.

https://matchgrademachine.com/velocity-testing-thompson-center-barrels/#bushmaster
s4s4u

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:21 pm

I think that the added velocity gain and movement of the muzzle blast further away, is well worth the length of the 20 inch barrel. I have responded when asked why I went with the 20", "Because Bushmaster didn't offer a 22 or 24 inch". I'm no bantam weight and compared to me, the weight of the rifle is not much competition to carry and wield. ;) I've now owned four 450b barrels over the past 10 years. All AR platform and all 20 inch. To each his/her own.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby PRKL8R » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:52 am

If you intend to only use from a blind or stand, then get the 20" or if you can't find a 20" get the 18". As you can see from the chart you don't loose much in velocity. Do away with brakes and the noise will be better also.
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby offrink » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:07 am

Sounds like I will be looking for a 20” barrel. What are the more accurate barrel manufactures? Is a custom 24” barrel possible/cost prohibitive? I know we had a couple of people selling barrels here in the bast but I didn’t jump on them when I should.
offrink

Postby s4s4u » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:20 pm

Hoot wrote:I think that the added velocity gain and movement of the muzzle blast further away, is well worth the length of the 20 inch barrel. I have responded when asked why I went with the 20", "Because Bushmaster didn't offer a 22 or 24 inch". I'm no bantam weight and compared to me, the weight of the rifle is not much competition to carry and wield. ;) I've now owned four 450b barrels over the past 10 years. All AR platform and all 20 inch. To each his/her own.

Hoot

Valid points. Most of my "hunting" rifles have 24" or longer barrels, other than 10/22 and AR's. I had originally planned to build using the entire 20" of barrel but then decided to make this build a bit of a nostalgic "dissy" with a 16" barrel and A2 flash hider, A2 FSB at the end of A2 round rifle 2 piece handguards and A2 carry handle.
s4s4u

Return to AR15 Style Rifles