Thought on the .350 Legend...

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Thought on the .350 Legend...

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:28 pm

I recently re-read some posts here from a while back when Wildcatter (PBUH) had developed a mysterious new loading for the AR platform he called it the 9mm NATO AR. Supposedly he even had an appointment to show it to DoD as an upgrade from the 5.56 that they were (still are) looking to develop. His 9mm NATO AR would of course be scaled to work in the existing AR-15s with appropriate parts changes, and be significantly more powerful than the 5.56mm. That's the background to my question.

I wonder if there's any way that Winchester ended up with the specs to the 9mm NATO AR cartridge and brought it out as the .350 Legend? Enquiring minds (at least, mine..) would like to know.

(Side question: Anyone know what happened to our beloved WC?)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Re: Thought on the .350 Legend...

Postby s4s4u » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:09 pm

Not sure if that is where it came from but folks had been wildcatting a 357/223 for a while. I suppose it was just a matter of time before someone picked up on it and improved it.
s4s4u

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:09 am

WC passed away awhile back, TSD might have the skinny on the exact date.

My personnel opinion on the 350L, that it was copied off the 357AR. It fills a niche with recoil sensitive people plus ladies and kids. I would have designed it .100 longer and strictly for a bolt platform and throttled it up another 150-200fps, plus I would have used .358 bullets!!!!
Al in Mi

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:48 am

Thanks for the info! I agree the 350L seems a mite tame.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby plant_one » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:18 am

commander faschisto wrote:Thanks for the info! I agree the 350L seems a mite tame.

just like the 450bm.. its not meant to be a hot, flat shooting round. think of it as the 450's little brother.

its a cartridge brought to market solely to be 48 state legal hunting round for those that cant handle the punch of the bigger stuff like the 450 bushmaster. not everyone out there enjoy's - or knows how to deal with - a bunch of recoil like the rest of us do :mrgreen:

and i've seen the legend make venison room temperature. its an effective killer within its wheelhouse. its a neat, accurate little cartridge.

its kinda like baggin on the ole 30-30.... yet that cartridge still put more venison in the freezer than any round in history, at least here in places like Michigan.

give it time, its a real young cartridge. let it come into its own. 10 year from now... then we can really judge how it fared.
plant_one

Postby Buckeye45 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:42 am

I’ve used the 350L for the past 2 years. It is an excellent hunting round. It’s also an easy round to shoot. As mentioned the difference in recoil is substantial, but more importantly the muzzle blast is so much nicer in hunting situations. I did use a 450 for several years and found the blast and to some extent the recoil inhibit follow up or second shots. One case in particular left me with a splitting headache for 3 days following a jump shot at a very nice buck. I simply couldn’t get back on target and he got away. The buck I shot this year with the 350 was back in the scope just as he came down from his mule kick.
I’ve built several 350 legend for myself and friends and all have performed great at woods distance. This year I built and used a 12.5 inch AR pistol using lightweight parts. And I just use a thread protector, no brake needed. This made a fabulous hunting gun for walking stalking thick cover. Building a gun like this wouldn’t be possible or practical in 450 unless I was to sit in a blind with 2 levels of ear protection.
I like it.
Buckeye45

Postby 45r » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:12 am

I use both 450 and 350.
450 in the morning and 350L for afternoon.
The 350L works well with my suppressor.(liberty mystic)
I want to put deer down fast in morning so don't have to look on a neighbors property because Most of them want to keep everything not messed with.
Usually the 350L puts them down quickly but a huge 4 year old buck went 200 yards into neighbor property but luckily they didn't come out and complain.
The 450 has always put them down within around 75 yards.
Both are excellent in accuracy.
Using a custom barrel in my 450bm I'm getting 1 moa at 100 yards.
45r

Postby Smokinbubba » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:55 am

I did a lot of research before settling on the 450bm. I hunt open crop fields an never get a close in shot. My closest to date is 212yds and furthest was 268. For that reason, I passed on the legend. If I want to get up close and personal I use the bow. Just my .02
Smokinbubba

Postby plant_one » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:08 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:I did a lot of research before settling on the 450bm. I hunt open crop fields an never get a close in shot. My closest to date is 212yds and furthest was 268. For that reason, I passed on the legend. If I want to get up close and personal I use the bow. Just my .02

both cartridges basically run out of steam around 250 or so.

if you're gonna shoot either at the 200+ theatre.... bullet selection becomes critical.

the win XP 150gr all copper is a 250yd bullet. i wouldnt think twice of plunking it at 200-225. they're plenty accurate enough.

with a 200yd zero.. they're 3.5" high at 100 and 2.8 low at 225 and 6.5 low at 250.

have heard great things about maker's offerings as well... they seem to have a very loyal following with the legend crowd. not shocking, but something to pay attention to.
plant_one

Postby Smithjdsr » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:50 pm

My daughter-in-law shoots a Ruger American in 350 Legend. She got her first two deer this year. First one was 17 yards. In the shoulder and out just forward of the last rib. Lungs were non-existent. Through-and-through is not surprising at less than 20 yards. Second, a small buck, was 140 yards. She hit him in the shoulder- directly through the humerus, a large hole in the heart (maybe from a bone fragment?) and smashed through the other humerus. We found the perfectly mushroomed slug under the skin on the far side. Both shoulders were a complete mess. She shoots the Winchester Deer Season, 150 gr XtremePoint.

I was impressed. This is NOT a wimpy cartridge. I shoot the Winchester 180 gr in my AR pistol and they, maybe, even do a mite better, but her rifle likes the 150’s. At 140 yards, it wasn’t more than 2” off where she thought she was aiming.
John

“Remember; No matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai
Smithjdsr

Return to AR15 Style Rifles