Buffers and Barrels

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Buffers and Barrels

Postby Goochylogic » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:51 pm

Hello folks, new to this site and still learning my way around. Just a couple of questions. What buffer weight would you recommend? And what barrels with lengths you would buy. This build will be for deer hunting if that matters. Always holding my wallet extra tight when making any purchases but no trash parts please. Thanks in advance. Chuck
Goochylogic

Re: Buffers and Barrels

Postby coyote wacker » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:32 am

I purchased a Bushmaster complete rifle with a 20" barrel 7 years ago no regrets. If I were to buy again would go with a 16" just to use a suppresser. A few FPS loss is no big deal.
coyote wacker

Postby coyote wacker » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:34 am

I purchased a Bushmaster complete rifle with a 20" barrel 7 years ago no regrets. If I were to buy again would go with a 16" just to use a suppresser. A few FPS loss is no big deal.
coyote wacker

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:24 am

I'm a fan of short and handy, bought a 16" factory Bushey upper when they first became available. Put it on a TKS lower with a Ace Skelton stock which has a rifle length buffer, thing has ran like a top since day one.
Al in Mi

Postby s4s4u » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:13 pm

The 450 doesn't lose much velocity when you shorten the tube so get whatever you can that fits your need. I have a 20" Bushmaster that is cut down to 16". I would suggest a fixed rifle stock with standard buffer to begin with.

https://matchgrademachine.com/velocity-testing-thompson-center-barrels/#bushmaster
s4s4u

Postby Goochylogic » Tue May 04, 2021 7:46 pm

Thanks guys for the info. It will be an a2 fixed stock since I have an extra on thats not being used. Also looking around for a 16” barrel. I can only imagine the front weight of a 20” barrel. Any suggestion on barrel manufactures to stay away from would be helpful. One last thing, what barrel twist would you go with? Thanks again. Chuck
Goochylogic

Postby plant_one » Wed May 05, 2021 10:44 am

actually the 20's handle quite nicely. we've got two of them in our hunting group - mine included. my buddy who has the other has a Hybrid .46 (suppressor) on his and even then its not unbalanced terribly - it does make it a tiny bit nose heavy but at 17.3oz for its versatility and capability its a small price to pay.

i guess i'm comparting it though to me being used to hanging my 22oz form1 can on the end of my 20" varmint profile WOA barrel which still feels pretty damn good to me :) :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Wed May 05, 2021 7:56 pm

plant_one wrote:actually the 20's handle quite nicely. we've got two of them in our hunting group - mine included. my buddy who has the other has a Hybrid .46 (suppressor) on his and even then its not unbalanced terribly - it does make it a tiny bit nose heavy but at 17.3oz for its versatility and capability its a small price to pay.

i guess i'm comparting it though to me being used to hanging my 22oz form1 can on the end of my 20" varmint profile WOA barrel which still feels pretty damn good to me :) :mrgreen:

I'll second that. My 20" with a Ross brake on the end, is much like my other 24-26" hunting rifles. They served me well since they were almost as tall as I was. ;)
I try but cannot get the whole weight issue I read about. Balance is easily accommodated with A1 and A2 stocks by adding some dare I say additional weight inside them and the number 1 contributing factor in perceived recoil is overall weight. Good balance is more important to me than overall weight.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to AR15 Style Rifles