Jamming Issue, need some pointers

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Jamming Issue, need some pointers

Postby Siringo » Sun May 23, 2010 7:03 pm

I was doing some thinking -- in the beginning when I got my carbine, it came with an aluminum magazine. I had questioned in the previous post if your were, only because the finish is coming off.

When I had mine, there was a serious issue with them not holding the rounds securely during recoil and bolt operation. I cartridge would flip up, and the bolt would not engage the rear of the case -- riding along the case body. AND I did have jams.

You said that you had deep scratches in you cases. So did I and I had forgotten where they came from. You jogged my memory. Eventually, by the way, the cases failed along those deep scratches -- split.

Bushmaster replaced my aluminum mag with a SS one. In fact, near the caliber stamp on the mag is has SS.

Just a thought. Can you gain access to another magazine?
Siringo

Postby bushmeister » Sun May 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Now i'm no expert, but your mag looks right to me. I had a similar problem although mine ejected, and it turned out to be a loose/misaligned gas block. Check out my "What have I done?" thread, and see if that helps you.
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Sun May 23, 2010 8:14 pm

Something to try next range trip if you haven't already. Put one round in your mag and insert it into your rifle. Chamber the round, shoot it and see if it ejects. Repeat for however many times you usually go until you encounter a jam. If shooting single shot never causes a jam, that would suggest the magazine feed is contributing to the problem I would think. Also consider this less costly approach. Fill the mag and insert it in the rifle. Cycle the bolt by hand, allowing it to chamber each round by the spring return. Work through a full mag several times and see if the unfired rounds ever bind without it being fired upon extraction and also observe the location of the next round in the mag to see it they all rise to the same position as the previous round is extracted. I admit, it doesn't simulate the violent reaction of the rounds being fired, but it would establish a behavior pattern for the feed and extraction mechanics. Spread the work around all the rounds you have so as not to over-ding any of the rounds too much. They do take some licks being chambered and extracted. My 3-times reloaded brass is starting to look a little gnarly.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BigBore Newb » Sun May 30, 2010 9:25 am

Any updates on this? My 450 literally doesn't eject at all and I need to get this resolved.
BigBore Newb

Postby 2zero6 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:58 am

I would check gas block alignment as previously stated and also try a heavier buffer to slow things down a bit. Does this happen with other mags or even sig mags?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby BD1 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:53 am

Could you pull the the bolt and take a pic of the bolt face before cleaning it showing the extractor and ejector? This looks like one of two things is occurring: The extractor is loosing the case before the case mouth clears the chamber where the ejector can flip it clear; Or, the ejector is sticking or has a broken spring, (no spring?).
Like any product there is a possibility that there are some defective or missing parts. It is also possible that milling shavings or brass shavings are binding the ejector or extractor.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby BarracudaBob » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:54 am

I removed the little blue elastic piece from the ejector spring and it solved my problem.

Something similar to this:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2089 ... TOR_BUFFER
BarracudaBob

Postby FirstARinNY » Fri May 13, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm having the same jam problems as mentioned in this thread, numerous times - with or without the magazine - I am not ejecting the brass. I have a 16" carbine with a Bushmaster lower, both brand new from Cabella's. I am shooting factory Hornady 250 grain ammo. First 3 shots ejected fine, the next 20 or so did not eject at all. I tried putting numerous rounds in the magazine and shooting single shot but got the same results every time. I'm a first time AR user and am very confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated - Bushmaster was not very helpful on the phone, they told me to examine my extractor, and I did, according to the pictures I found online and it seems fine to me...
FirstARinNY

Postby Hoot » Fri May 13, 2011 6:18 pm

FirstARinNY wrote:I'm having the same jam problems as mentioned in this thread, numerous times - with or without the magazine - I am not ejecting the brass. I have a 16" carbine with a Bushmaster lower, both brand new from Cabella's. I am shooting factory Hornady 250 grain ammo. First 3 shots ejected fine, the next 20 or so did not eject at all. I tried putting numerous rounds in the magazine and shooting single shot but got the same results every time. I'm a first time AR user and am very confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated - Bushmaster was not very helpful on the phone, they told me to examine my extractor, and I did, according to the pictures I found online and it seems fine to me...

Can you post some images of the brass that didn't eject up close, especially the rim and face of the brass. We're looking for claw marks and extractor/ejector imprinting. Just a hunch.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Fri May 13, 2011 7:29 pm

FirstARinNY wrote:I'm having the same jam problems as mentioned in this thread, numerous times - with or without the magazine - I am not ejecting the brass. I have a 16" carbine with a Bushmaster lower, both brand new from Cabella's. I am shooting factory Hornady 250 grain ammo. First 3 shots ejected fine, the next 20 or so did not eject at all. I tried putting numerous rounds in the magazine and shooting single shot but got the same results every time. I'm a first time AR user and am very confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated - Bushmaster was not very helpful on the phone, they told me to examine my extractor, and I did, according to the pictures I found online and it seems fine to me...

Did you thoroughly clean, removing the factory preservation lube and then properly lube the weapon?..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles