Jamming Issue, need some pointers

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Jamming Issue, need some pointers

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat May 14, 2011 7:25 am

Also, Brownells has some really detail videos on You Tube on AR 15 assembly and disassembly. While there are other videos about ARsmithing out there, I would stick to Brownells or Midway. Stay away from the home videos by "Joe Bob" and "John Doe" in his garage, apartment or parents basement.
It sounds to my like there is a magazine feed issue or there is something in the bolt/carrier/ Gas block system, but we can't say much without pictures or maybe even a video camera showing whats up in slow motion.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby FirstARinNY » Sat May 14, 2011 8:12 am

I did clean the barrel with solvent # 9, and wiped down the bolt with Rem oil before shooting. I also was cleaning the barrel every shot (seasoning) with #9 and copper solvent, then dry patching.

Here's pics of the worst brass Image Image Image Image
So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb. <Robert Shaw> [JAWS/i]
FirstARinNY

Postby wildcatter » Sat May 14, 2011 8:49 am

FirstARinNY wrote:I did clean the barrel with solvent # 9, and wiped down the bolt with Rem oil before shooting. I also was cleaning the barrel every shot (seasoning) with #9 and copper solvent, then dry patching.

Here's pics of the worst brass [ http://i53.tinypic.com/14y2uet.jpg ] [ http://i56.tinypic.com/2ugf2hc.jpg ] [ http://i53.tinypic.com/117bd6f.jpg ] [ http://i55.tinypic.com/15f0tb9.jpg ]

Looks like short-stroking to me, that is from here. Many causes, and some probable causes have already been suggested, but you might want to try cleaning the upper and carrier, from the packing lubes and then re-lubing (I like brake cleaner and a tooth brush). Here's a little ditty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0dGQ3MD ... re=related), the lube Wilson recommended here is very convenient, far less messy than high temp bearing grease (which is also an excellent lube and one I normally use) and travels well.

Try this first and then tell us how you made out and if the problem persist, then we'll just have to do something else (I'm prolly wrong, but this just might be the cure, cause the weapon did work, just not for long). But just do one thing at a time, if you try to do all the things at once, that might cause this problem, than you'll never know which one cured the problem. This idea will be of great service to you, in the future, if the problem ever pops up again, you'll have a better basis for trouble shooting, future hick-ups..

..t
Last edited by wildcatter on Sat May 14, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby FirstARinNY » Sat May 14, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks wildcatter, appreciate the time and advice! And I will try that lube, come back and let everyone know how it went,
Thanks again
So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb. <Robert Shaw> [JAWS/i]
FirstARinNY

Postby wildcatter » Sat May 14, 2011 2:17 pm

FirstARinNY wrote:Thanks wildcatter, appreciate the time and advice! And I will try that lube, come back and let everyone know how it went,
Thanks again

Yeah, and really do follow up here, we actually do want to here how you made out. Try the High-Temp Bearing Grease first, just because you can just run down the street to an automotive parts house and also pick-up some Brake Cleaner too, while you're at it.

If you want to endear yourself to your wife, use her Tooth Brush, and if you do that right, replace it to her spot, without her knowledge.. KaWop-Smack-Punch-and Ca-bang, those are just sounds from my wife reading over my shoulder..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun May 15, 2011 3:26 am

If he had access to an HD video camera on a tripod set to watch the ejection port during firing a full magazine, that might also help us see what he is seeing.
One other note, I tried to zing off a round in my 450 B without a magazine inserted once, and the carrier ejected the
case but before the case could clear the ejection port, the carrier/bolt captured the case in a sort of Stove Pipe jam situation. Lesson? Always have a magazine inserted if you don't want your brass chewed on... LOL
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby FirstARinNY » Mon May 16, 2011 4:59 pm

LOLz wildcatter, I actually do have a pretty good HD Cam, I'll take it to the range and see what I can do.
FirstARinNY

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue May 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Had some jamming problems myself, about one out of every five to seven rounds (I fired 80 altogether). One round would "stovepipe" coming out and the next would be trapped under it and not feed.

Open to suggestions.
Attachments
Stove Pipe.jpg
Stove Pipe.jpg (74.06 KiB) Viewed 12108 times
Failure to Feed.jpg
Failure to Feed.jpg (73.53 KiB) Viewed 12108 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Siringo » Wed May 18, 2011 8:19 am

Based on your first picture, I can see the second round under the stove piped round, This looks like a magazine issue to me. Since I had the same thing happen when I first got my 450. The first magazines supplied by Bushmaster that were aluminum. Those would not hold the round securely and would tip up at a steep angle and cause either a stove pipe (ejection of fired shell case interfered with upcoming fresh round) or jam up into the upper portion of the chamber entrance. What type of magazines are you using? My stainless Bushy mags work flawlessly. So do my sigs.
Siringo

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu May 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Siringo wrote: What type of magazines are you using? My stainless Bushy mags work flawlessly. So do my sigs.

These are all Bushmaster 5 round mags (black with the black follower). They are marked SS, so I assume they are stainless??? One of the mags seemed to perform better than the other two, but I will need to take better notes next time to confirm that.

I also have some 5.56 30 round metal mags from Brownells, that I have converted to 450 with the blue snap-in follower. They are not stamped as to what material they are, stainless or aluminum, but according to the Brownell website, they have a heat-treated, welded aluminum body.

I have yet to shoot them.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles