Anyone had a rifle rebored to 450?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Anyone had a rifle rebored to 450?

Postby Dbishop » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:10 pm

New member here with a question for you experienced guys. Has anyone had a rifle rebored to 450 as opposed to rebarreling it? Just curious thanks.
Dbishop

Re: Anyone had a rifle rebored to 450?

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:52 pm

Dbishop wrote:New member here with a question for you experienced guys. Has anyone had a rifle rebored to 450 as opposed to rebarreling it? Just curious thanks.

Welcome aboard Dbishop "It's da' Bishop!"

You can buy a new barrel from several sources for a lot less than it'll cost you to have one bored out of a smaller caliber and then chambered.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:44 am

and probably faster too !!
Al in Mi

Postby Dbishop » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:12 am

Thanks for the replies fellas! The rifle I'm thinking about reboring is a Remington 700 varmint. I think that would make a really interesting 450 deer rifle if I left the factory fluted barrel on it. I'm also curious as to how much weight it would lose...kinda chunky as it sits. As far as rebarreling it...I'm always up for any more info on competent gunsmiths in northern Ohio if you might have any suggestions. Thanks again!
Dbishop

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:41 am

My first picks would be McGowen or Satern for a new barrel.

there was a fella out on the west coast that was reboring barrels, but if I recall, it was about the same price as getting a new blank plus was sloooooooooow on delivery.

Guys at Bear Creek Ballistics in Leroy Mi might do it too.
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:57 am

i think this is one of those situations where just because you cant doesnt necessarily mean you should.

i mean.. if you're going at it from a "what the hell, i wanna try it anyway" standpoint.. then by all means..

but as others noted.. you can get an aftermarket barrel for less than what the machining is gonna cost

and you can sell (or keep) that origional barrel for another project
plant_one

Return to Bolt Action Rifles