Savage Wolverine jams when loading from magazine

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Savage Wolverine jams when loading from magazine

Postby timotheius99 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:58 pm

I recently got a 110 Wolverine (.450 Bushmaster) and for the most part I really like it. It shoots very consistent 1.5 inch groups with the standard factory ammo. However, it has one problem. It comes with a detachable Magpul .308 magazine....and the ammo feeds from the magazine very poorly. In fact, almost every round I try to load from the magazine will bind as it travels into the chamber and jams. When it binds, if I wiggle the bolt around it will unbind and then slide into the chamber. Not good enough. It should be chambering my follow up shots smoothly. Also, if I work the bolt very slowly it doesn't bind as much. That also is unacceptable. Bolt actions shouldn't need to be babied. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on how to solve the problem? It is very frustrating. This gun isn't much use to me if I can't use it for hunting. Is there another magazine that would be better for it?
timotheius99

Re: Savage Wolverine jams when loading from magazine

Postby plant_one » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:44 am

contact savage - their customer service department is top knotch.

probably just a bad mag. but talk it over with them - i'm sure they'll have an answer for you
plant_one

Postby timotheius99 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:16 am

I'll give them a call. I don't think its a faulty magazine. I have a second magpul .308 mag and they are exactly the same. Its kind of hard to mess up a pmag. I suspect its more of a design flaw between the action/cartidge/and magazine not working together properly.
timotheius99

Postby plant_one » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:13 am

both mags have the same feed issue?

if so i have to concur, its probably not a mag thing.

although i cant say i'm familiari with the performance of magpul's ACIS 7.62 mags... i can vouch for the fact that their 7.62 LR/SR mags are the damn beez kneez - at least in my LR308 :)
plant_one

Postby timotheius99 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:58 am

Just to follow up on this...I have now tried several different mags, including one sent to me by Savage customer service. I will need to send this rifle back to Savage and see what they say.
timotheius99

Postby Tripplebeards » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 pm

My Ruger American has been doing the exact same thing with every bullet except for the FTX. If you check some of my old posts you’ll see my complaints. The manufactures him in my opinion built their guns around the FTX bullet and it wont smoothly chamber any other bullet style on the planet. Also there’s no control around feed in a big gap in the front of the American magazine so the rear of the bullets drop in the back hall and kick up to high and jam on the rear of the chamber causing the binding issues you speak of. Jamming the bolt back-and-forth to her three times gets mine to feed as well. My American has been replaced by a Ruger scout with controlled feed. I haven’t received the gun yet but I’m hoping the controlled feed will hopefully take care of the binding issues That all these cheap mass produced guns are having. If you go on YouTube and watch the reviews on them everyone that is shooting pistol take bullets out of them like the 300 grain federal’s are having the same issue. Check out Hickok’s American 450 BM review. His first round he tries the chamber about four minutes in the video does the same thing and he works the action three times to get it to feed. He actually does this quite a few times on his review but doesn’t mention how great it feels. Lol. I watched another review with the same issue from another youTuber. After all the issues I had with my gun Ruger upgraded me to the scout for 110 bucks. I figure if the scout gives me as many issues as the American did at least it’s worth a lot more for resale value to buy a gun that actually feeds and functions properly. I just don’t think the 450 bushmaster was meant for a bolt gun and there lies the feeding issues. I think it’s kind a like the 22 Winchester mag...too long of a straight case for a bolt rifle and very finicky. I treated mine the same way as my 22 WMR and kept cleaning and polishing the chamber after so many rounds hoping it would feed smoother....nope.
Tripplebeards

Return to Bolt Action Rifles