Range Report-Mossberg Patriot-Walnut

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Range Report-Mossberg Patriot-Walnut

Postby Thom28 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:23 pm

I picked up a Mossberg Patriot-Walnut on Saturday, The link below will take you to a page showing a picture of the rifle and the specifications.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/mossbe ... nut-28043/

I mounted a Swift Premier 4-12x40 on it using Leupold PRW2 Permanent Weaver-Style Rings. I got a chance to go to the range this morning.

The Patriot is the first Mossberg gun I have ever owned. I do have to say that I am pretty impressed with it. The fit and finish on the rifle is excellent. Both the pistol grip and the forearm have areas, you can't really call it checkering, that allow for an excellent grip on the rifle.
I did some shooting with it this morning. The barrel is threaded and comes with a thread protector but no muzzle brake. My thoughts were I would have to buy a Ross brake to put on it.
I loaded some 200gr XPBs and that is what I was shooting today. I got the scope on paper at 30 yards and then did final sight in at 100 yards. The rifle is listed as weighing 7 lbs and the scope I have on it is 15.8 oz. So rifle with scope and rings weigh almost 8 lbs. As inherent with the 450BM this rifle is very accurate. I was able to get a 1 inch 5 shot group at 100 yards.
The recoil with the 200gr bullets is less than shooting a 20 gauge with slugs. Very manageable with very little muzzle jump. I was really surprised by this.
The rifle performed flawlessly. No problems with chambering, ejecting, or any other problems.
It comes with a 4 round magazine but I found it works better if you only load 3 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. Just hard to get that 4th shell in the magazine. It is a double stacked magazine. It may loosen up after more use. If I can't get a deer with 4 shots, I sure as hell ain't gonna hit him with a 5th shot.

I did shot some 275gr XPB through it. Recoil was considerably stronger. Just decided to stick with the 200gr bullet. I seen what it did on my buck last year and had excellent blood trail and seen the damage it did on the inside.

Overall, I think Mossberg did an excellent job with design and engineering of this Patriot rifle.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Re: Range Report-Mossberg Patriot-Walnut

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:43 am

Thanks for the write up Thom, first range report I've seen with the new Mossy :)

Do you recall the sticker price on it??
Al in Mi

Postby Thom28 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:39 am

Thanks Al. I checked prices at 3 LGSs and price ranged from $429-$469. I checked Gunbroker.com but there were no Patriot-Walnuts listed on there when I checked.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby utankwelder » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:32 am

I bought the 20" synthetic version from a local gun store here in Ohio. Price was $269.99 plus tax. SO far I'm loving it. Really like the walnut look. I've been thinking about getting a Boyd's thumbhole stock for mine. I have one on my Rem 700 and absolutely love it.

I have mine topped with a 6x18x40 Nikon BDC scope. It has been phenomenal in terms of clarity and repeatability.

So far my rifle has been pretty good. My gun loved the hornady black ammunition, shot 1" groups at a hundred with it. Handloading with the 250gr ftx has been close but not the same as the Hornady. I was using 40.3gr Win296 and CCI #41 primers as it's what I had. I will be moving to lil gun in my next testing.
utankwelder

Postby bebop » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:04 am

Good report!

I finally picked up my Mossberg Patriot - walnut in 450 BM couple of weeks ago, after a long time waiting. Then came Christmas so I haven't had time to go to the range yet, but I will as soon as I find the time. As far as I know I'm the first and so far only 450 BM owner in Sweden.

The rifle feels good. Quality is not a Sauer or a Merkel (or any other high quality and expensive German brands) but for the price, it's not bad at all. I would dare to say that you get a lot more for the bucks than to buy something expensive and pay extra just for the brand.
I like the mag, also bougt an extra mag for Patriot short action, but that one was a little different than the one that followed with the rifle. They both feeds well, but I like the one that followed with the rifle better even though you can't load it from top with the bolt out (you have to remove the mag and load it).

As soon as I've been to the range I'll post a report.
bebop

Return to Bolt Action Rifles