I give up on cast boolits in my Ruger American

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

I give up on cast boolits in my Ruger American

Postby Tripplebeards » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:51 am

Three years of trying now with various cast bullets and can’t get any cast to cycle reliable in it without a random jam. The magazine was designed with too much extra space letting the base of the case to drop into the front of the magazine causing the bullet to kick up too high and jam into the the top of the barrel where it threads into the receiver. Poor design on Rugers end. I’m done fighting with this gun and poor design. I’ve tried three magazines in it now per Rugers recommendation...the only way it’s going to work properly is to redesign the magazine IMO. Here a link to where I’ve posted pics as I have trouble loading them on this sight. If your looking to buy a Ruger American 450BM to shoot cast your going to be pulling your hair out.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... r-and-cast
Tripplebeards

Re: I give up on cast boolits in my Ruger American

Postby Tripplebeards » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:26 pm

I’m starting to see the light...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ost4747336

I found burrs all over the magazine ramp causing issues. Also Ruger has altered the ramp shape in the magazine’s. I have two different ramp shapes on three different factory magazines.
Tripplebeards

Re: I give up on cast boolits in my Ruger American

Postby Tripplebeards » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:29 pm

To update this my American was failing to extract after I received it back from being sent in for repair for the fourth time. I sent it back in last week and I asked Ruger if I could exchange it for a different model. Ruger ended up trading me for the gunsight scout in 450 bushmaster with controlled feed for $110.00 plus my LGS’s FFL transfer Fee. I asked about the go wild version and the gun site. Ruger said they would trade me even for the go wild but I figured the scout was worth the extra hundred and ten bucks...and then some. I’m pretty excited to try the scout with control feed. I’m sure cast boolits will feed much better out of it.
Tripplebeards

Return to Bolt Action Rifles