Muzzle Brake for Rhineland Barrel

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Muzzle Brake for Rhineland Barrel

Postby GaCop » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:27 am

I don't like the "flash hider" Rhineland puts on their 16" barrels. I know the thread pitch is 3/4X24. Does any one make a brake to fit this barrel, or just a thread protector?
Vietnam Vet Jun 66 - Dec 67
GaCop

Re: Muzzle Brake for Rhineland Barrel

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:35 am

drop Ross Schuler a email and ask him. Hands down, about the best I've used in a variety of calibers.

https://www.rossbrakes.com/about
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:29 am

Al in Mi wrote:drop Ross Schuler a email and ask him. Hands down, about the best I've used in a variety of calibers.

https://www.rossbrakes.com/about

+1 I have 5 of his brakes. One of those rare, really good deals out there.

Here's one he did for my Bartz barrel. You have to look real close to find the seam, but then I sent him my barrel to thread and install his brake on. Top Shelf Work for cheap, compared to what others get.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 07Kingpin » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:47 am

How much louder does the brake make the report, especially off to the sides?
07Kingpin

Postby Hoot » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:38 am

07Kingpin wrote:How much louder does the brake make the report, especially off to the sides?

Most brakes that offer a significant reduction in recoil are loud, needless to say. I only shot mine once without hearing protection while hunting. My ears were desensitized for about 4-5 minutes. Never Again! I really value my excellent hearing, even at age 66. Now I hunt with amplified muffs as I like reduced recoil. One day, when I hit a small lottery, I'd like to get professional amplified ear plugs as the muffs make it hard to get a good cheek weld without them leaking a little. In the warmer months that constitute our short shooting season, I wear effective but unamplified plugs. It amazes me how many people I see at the range who have no clue as to how to properly wear foam style plugs. Small wonder they complain about them not be very effective. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby GaCop » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:24 am

Did some load testing yesterday. 230 grain JHP over various charges of 296. First two loads I tested was with the "flash hider" installed and groups averaged 2.4" and 3.1". Removed the FH and 29.6 grains/296 averaged 1.119" at 75 yards. 29.8 grains averaged 1.991". All were 5 shot groups. looks like I need thread protector more than a brake.
GaCop

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:42 am

not by chance getting any bullet rub on that flash hider?
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:30 am

Adding any form of muzzle device changes the harmonic resonance of your barrel, which impacts group size. You need to tune your barrel for optimum group size with whatever muzzle device you use. Think of it like focusing a scope. A little in or out and you will find your tune. The easy way to do that is to wrap your muzzle threads with a couple of layers of plumber's tape so that the device is hard to turn but do-able by hand. It wont unscrew. Screw it all the way in and back it off a turn. Shoot for group. Repeat. You shouldn't have to go more than about 5 turns and trust me, with most threaded muzzles, you still have plenty of threads to hang onto the device. When you get to the point where the groups are the tightest, try moving it only half a turn either way and repeat. It can cut your best recipe group size in half if your bench setup is solid and your shooting technique is consistent from one shot to the next. A good way to achieve that if you don't feel you're consistent enough is to use some kind of Lead Sled. Needless to say, it'll take some ammo to get there but once determined, the resonant point will never change for the life of your rifle unless you change to a different muzzle device. In the case of brakes with top ports, you will only be able to make adjustments in 1 complete turn increments for obvious reason. Once you determine your tune point, you can add shims to lock your device firmly in place, or add more plumber's tape so that it takes a wrench to rotate it. It won't come off. Many members here use plumber's tape instead of crush washers and/or shims.

Its a lot of work once and if you're happy with your group size for your purpose, don't worry about tuning. Also, some bullet/powder recipes will never shoot well regardless of what you do with your barrel resonance. There are always bad recipes.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby GaCop » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:38 am

Al in Mi wrote:not by chance getting any bullet rub on that flash hider?
No, the opening in it looks to be about 3/4", that's why I call it a flash hider. No holes in it at all. It's a big ugly thing. I'm toying with the idea of cutting it down just in front of the female threads to use as a thread protector.
Last edited by GaCop on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaCop

Postby GaCop » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:42 am

Hoot wrote:Adding any form of muzzle device changes the harmonic resonance of your barrel, which impacts group size. You need to tune your barrel for optimum group size with whatever muzzle device you use. Think of it like focusing a scope. A little in or out and you will find your tune. The easy way to do that is to wrap your muzzle threads with a couple of layers of plumber's tape so that the device is hard to turn but do-able by hand. It wont unscrew. Screw it all the way in and back it off a turn. Shoot for group. Repeat. You shouldn't have to go more than about 5 turns and trust me, with most threaded muzzles, you still have plenty of threads to hang onto the device. When you get to the point where the groups are the tightest, try moving it only half a turn either way and repeat. It can cut your best recipe group size in half if your bench setup is solid and your shooting technique is consistent from one shot to the next. A good way to achieve that if you don't feel you're consistent enough is to use some kind of Lead Sled. Needless to say, it'll take some ammo to get there but once determined, the resonant point will never change for the life of your rifle unless you change to a different muzzle device. In the case of brakes with top ports, you will only be able to make adjustments in 1 complete turn increments for obvious reason. Once you determine your tune point, you can add shims to lock your device firmly in place, or add more plumber's tape so that it takes a wrench to rotate it. It won't come off. Many members here use plumber's tape instead of crush washers and/or shims.

Its a lot of work once and if you're happy with your group size for your purpose, don't worry about tuning. Also, some bullet/powder recipes will never shoot well regardless of what you do with your barrel resonance. There are always bad recipes.

Hoot

Good advice "Hoot". I'll give that a try before I consider cutting the flash hider down to thread protector size. By turn you mean one full 360 turn, correct?
GaCop

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles