Good factory round for deer/bear

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Good factory round for deer/bear

Postby Jgrizz590 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi all, new to the forum and have never posted anything before but I would really appreciate any advice on good 450 BM factory ammo for both white tail and black bear hunting, range would most likely be within 100 yards (Pennsylvania hunter). I won a Ruger ranch rifle in a raffle and love the concept of a compact lightweight power house of a rifle for hunting in the mountains and in thick timber/brush but haven’t had much luck as far as recommendations for black bear hunting. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. For references I’ve been eyeing up the federal power shock 300 grains and underwoods 245 grain penetrator but am open to all suggestions by those with more experience. Thank you
Jgrizz590

Re: Good factory round for deer/bear

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:43 am

Welcome.

Barnes has a new 250gr copper round out that would fill your bill perfectly!!!
Al in Mi

Postby MOOSE EARS » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:03 pm

Unlike in times past, there are more good offerings for factory ammo now. Avoid the green tipped Remington and the rest should serve you well.
MOOSE EARS

Postby 07Kingpin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, lots of great info and good people here.

Congrats on the new 450 too, think you'll find they are a lot of fun.

I have a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 300 Blackout and really like it.

I would think just about any of the common factory rounds would fit the bill nicely. The key point will be finding something your rifle likes.

Good luck and keep us posted!
07Kingpin

Postby Cat Power » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:09 am

Cutting edge 250 grain Maximus bullets look pretty good to me. Haven't loaded any yet, but plan to when this heat lets up

20% off right now until September 6th.
Cat Power

Postby Fredoniarob » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Dropped a nice doe with federal 300 grain Hollow point load, only problem was that there was massive expansion but no exit wound, far shoulder stopped bullet without breaking shoulder.... My friends 260 grain Remington load BLEW UP AFTER 8” of penetration. My shot was 125-140 yard high shoulder shot at running deer(Didn’t have time to range and shot low and behind right Shoulder) that went 20 yards and piled up, his was 100 yard high Shoulder that drifted back missing just behind that went almost 200 yards before submitting.... I am planning on Handloading some loads because I love the way it drops quickly yet want more penetration for bears, live near Pennsylvania and have few big boars in area, my suggestion would be the 300 grain federal “budget round” or contact bear creek ballistics because they have some well built preforming loads... but pricey....
Fredoniarob

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:45 pm

Have a pic of that recovered bullet?
Al in Mi

Postby Bberguson » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:26 pm

Jgrizz590 wrote:Hi all, new to the forum and have never posted anything before but I would really appreciate any advice on good 450 BM factory ammo for both white tail and black bear hunting, range would most likely be within 100 yards (Pennsylvania hunter). I won a Ruger ranch rifle in a raffle and love the concept of a compact lightweight power house of a rifle for hunting in the mountains and in thick timber/brush but haven’t had much luck as far as recommendations for black bear hunting. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. For references I’ve been eyeing up the federal power shock 300 grains and underwoods 245 grain penetrator but am open to all suggestions by those with more experience. Thank you

What part of Pennsylvania are you from/hunting? I’m in Tioga county. I’m working with 2 different bullets (now), a Lee 252 (cast to 259 with ww) and a Lee 330 mold for a 45-70 that I’m sizing back down to 452. Shot just enough to get it on paper and see that I could hold some kind of group at 50 yards. I didn’t even shoot off a bench because it was raining so hard but I did get decent enough groups to keep my hopes up. Getting ready to try the 259’s loaded a lot stouter than what I’ve tried so far...

The plinking loads: (13 grains unique with a 200gr semi wad cutter, 230gr round nose for 45acp and the Lee 330 45-70 sized down)

I’ll keep you posted

BB
Bberguson

Postby cjohnson » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:12 am

I’ve had success with Winchester Deer Season 250 grain, Hornady Black & Custom
cjohnson

Return to Bolt Action Rifles