Howa mini 450 steep feed ramp issues

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Howa mini 450 steep feed ramp issues

Postby Mr_Marsh23 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:12 pm

I picked it up a few days ago and the only rounds i could find were soft points. I was testing feeding and its very difficult and mangles the sp tip. I noticed the feed ramp is kinda steep but would probably feed just fine with a bt bullet. Im wondering if it is possible to to alter the angle of the feed ramp slightly as well as polish it. Ease any input would be greatly appreciated.
Mr_Marsh23

Re: Howa mini 450 steep feed ramp issues

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:46 am

what did the action start out as caliber wise?
Al in Mi

Postby Mr_Marsh23 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:32 pm

It is a factory 450 they only made them fkr a short while. After i examined fhe raml a lil closer theres plenty of material i can work with to smooth it over. Im pretty new at this can u recommend what compound i should use for polishing afterwards?
Mr_Marsh23

Postby plant_one » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:04 pm

before you start grinding....

can you share a pic of "mangled" - also can you share a pic of the feed ramp itself?

tbh.. a SP bullet can take quite a bit of damage to the tip before hunting grade accuracy is effected.

you have to consider... we're discussing a bullet that nearly ½ MOA in itself.

also... because of the nature of this cartridge, there is a seirous risk of grinding that feed ramp too far and causing an unsupported chamber issue like the old glock 40's used to have.. so besides potentially bulging the brass... if you go to far and get outside the case webbing - you could be looking at a considerable safety risk to yourself as well.

i'm not suggesting that there may not be improvement possible... just that it would need to be done with caution.

you're probably going to be better served to start with simply polishing the feed ramps - if you even have a feed ramp issue itself. You may have a magazine problem causing a poor feed angle in relation to the ramp too since its a detachable magazine.
plant_one

Postby plant_one » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:36 pm

also... if you grind that feed ramp and goof it up - your factory warranty is toast.

step away from the Dremel until you have no other options - and then mail it back for factory repair under warranty :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby Mr_Marsh23 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:49 pm

Ok so i just got the rifle about a week ago the only animal I can find was some herters stuff from cabelas and it turns out its just ammo itself it shot like garbage too. Found some hornady sp stuff today and feeds smooth as butter. Still prolly gonna polish the ramp tho.
Mr_Marsh23

Postby plant_one » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:47 am

glad to hear it

and i have zero objections to a good buffing of the feed ramps on almost any firearm. :)
plant_one

Return to Bolt Action Rifles