Posts like gold?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Posts like gold?

Postby Nagantguy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:34 pm

What a great deposit of information and knowledge- baffles me why there are so few new post.

This could have been the click bait- 193 yard shot on 7 point!
So now that my rant is off- this thanksgiving morning I made 193 yard shot on a nice 7 point . At the shot he took two jumps walked about 50 feet and laid down.
RAR- with vortex 1-8x32 strike Eagle and 240 grain xtp mag hp hand loads over 39.5 lillgun .
Man the possibilities if I wasn’t handicapped by stupid slug rules in lower MI the first 20 years of my hunting !
Nagantguy

Re: Posts like gold?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:02 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! And congrats! Nice shot. Please post pics!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:36 pm

Nagantguy wrote:What a great deposit of information and knowledge- baffles me why there are so few new post.

This could have been the click bait- 193 yard shot on 7 point!
So now that my rant is off- this thanksgiving morning I made 193 yard shot on a nice 7 point . At the shot he took two jumps walked about 50 feet and laid down.
RAR- with vortex 1-8x32 strike Eagle and 240 grain xtp mag hp hand loads over 39.5 lillgun .
Man the possibilities if I wasn’t handicapped by stupid slug rules in lower MI the first 20 years of my hunting !

Congratulations and definitely something to be thankful for!

As for activity. Eleven years ago, the caliber was relatively new and there were many "stones to turn over". Nowadays, the caliber is fairly mature and aside from the occasional new bullet or magazine introduction, there's not nearly as many stones that need turning over.

We still have stupid slug rules in the southern half of Minnesota and no straight wall cartridge rifle exceptions. My sources tell me that they are under consideration by the DNR, so possibly in the near future. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby coyote wacker » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:55 am

Congratulation on the buck !

I've been threw it all started with a Browning Sweet 16 in 1969 no sights just the vent rib....then a 1100 with a smooth barrel with sights then picked up a Hastings slug barrel for it...put a deer slayer H&R 12 ga. Ultra slug to work when they first came out....shot a train car load of deer with those guns....a life time of hunting....
First year Michigan allowed rifles in the Limited Rifle Zone put a Bushmaster 450 Bushmaster to work I've even used it in the UP of Michigan hunting deer and even a couple bears....
It a good caliber if your so inclined and a handloader get a bolt action and push it to 60'000 psi....not many animals that walk this earth it wouldn't slay with a proper bullet....
coyote wacker

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:53 pm

coyote wacker wrote:Congratulation on the buck !

I've been threw it all started with a Browning Sweet 16 in 1969 no sights just the vent rib....then a 1100 with a smooth barrel with sights then picked up a Hastings slug barrel for it...put a deer slayer H&R 12 ga. Ultra slug to work when they first came out....shot a train car load of deer with those guns....a life time of hunting....
First year Michigan allowed rifles in the Limited Rifle Zone put a Bushmaster 450 Bushmaster to work I've even used it in the UP of Michigan hunting deer and even a couple bears....
It a good caliber if your so inclined and a handloader get a bolt action and push it to 60'000 psi....not many animals that walk this earth it wouldn't slay with a proper bullet....

LOL. Yeah… but since the Hornady attorneys wanted to keep the CUP around 38,500PSI, let’s keep the PSI down closer to the parent Cartridge, 284 Winchester which was 45K and under okay? And you’re right. There’s not many animals on this planet the 450 Bushmaster won’t slay. And there’s certainly no animals on the North American Continent that the 450B won’t slay.
Welcome to our forum.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:15 pm

congratz on your deer

and yea.. these are a big upgrade from what used to be the norm down here in southern michigan.

other than the inline ML guys anyway running the hornady 45 ML sabbots in their magnum rated 50's with 3 pellets driving them being the kings of the cornfield before.

its a whole new world for sure!
plant_one

Postby plant_one » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:25 pm

Hoot wrote:
We still have stupid slug rules in the southern half of Minnesota and no straight wall cartridge rifle exceptions. My sources tell me that they are under consideration by the DNR, so possibly in the near future. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Hoot

really? i thought with the introduction of the legend that straight wall rules were available in the CONUS? that was the whole goal from Winchester a true 48 state legal deer cartridge. hell they even managed to negotiate with iowa on its silly .357 rule over it
plant_one

Postby Smokinbubba » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:19 am

The Buckeye state had the same 357 rule and the legend was exempted from this rule. I know lots of hunters that use one. Its no thumper tho...
Smokinbubba

Postby Escape Pod » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:42 am

Here’s a golden post. Meet Randy, the guy who brought the bolt action 450BM into existence.

https://youtu.be/vww1wjqf0JM
Escape Pod

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:51 am

Escape Pod wrote:Here’s a golden post. Meet Randy, the guy who brought the bolt action 450BM into existence.

https://youtu.be/vww1wjqf0JM

his place is a mile away :)
Al in Mi

Return to Bolt Action Rifles