Good cheap scope for RAR

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Good cheap scope for RAR

Postby Escape Pod » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:57 pm

Well well, Christmas came early. After telling me I wasn’t allowed to buy any more toys for myself this year, my wife surprised me with my number 1 wish… A Ruger American Ranch in, you guessed it, 450 Bushmaster.

Now I need a good but affordable scope for it. I don’t imagine doing any shooting passed 200 yards, mostly hunting and target practice closer to 100y. Is something like a 3-9x good for 50-200 yards? A Leupold is probably out if my price range, but would a Vortex hold up to the recoil of a 450b? Would a red dot be out of the question if I wanted to be able to hunt beyond 100 yards?
Escape Pod

Re: Good cheap scope for RAR

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:01 am

Vortex or Hawke would get my blessing.
Al in Mi

Postby MOOSE EARS » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:55 am

Cheap scopes are not a good idea for mounting on a 450BM. Leupold has some models priced around $200 when on sale. You may even find a used higher quality Leupold for $250. Spend the extra and don't look back but don't buy a cheap scope. Used Leupold's retain the lifetime warranty.
MOOSE EARS

Postby SAWMAN » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:13 am

"Good,cheap" - -> LOVE IT !!
Anything hanging on a wall display at Save a Buck Eds,in shrink wrap will do.
The added bonus will be,you will have something to complain about after your first range session.
Burris,Nikon,Leupold/Redfield should be considered. ---- SAWMAN
"Why just dance when you can rock and roll."
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Postby Smokinbubba » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:04 am

I'm a nikon buckmaster series guy myself but since they made the boneheaded move to stop making rifle scopes, they can be hard to find.
Smokinbubba

Postby coyote wacker » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:03 am

Burris don't waste your money or time....they have cost me dearly when they should have counted....Leupold take your chances OK for small calibers start getting into the larger there going to be taking a trip back for repairs I would wait until I got 5-6 before sending back several times a year ....Nikon's I've just not been able to brake one and they have been on some super heavy recoiling calibers....Trijcons been running them for 8 years + have yet to bust one I really like there crosshairs....
Pick-up any other brand and take your chances....

The recoil of 450 Bushmaster is considerable if you start hand loading it can be very heavy in a light rifle like a Ruger American and destroy cheap scopes....
coyote wacker

Postby Escape Pod » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:24 am

Thanks for the feedback, all.

So far it sounds like a couple of the best bets, Nikon and Redfield, aren't manufactured anymore. And even a Leupold is a dicey bet.

How far out can I reliably aim with a red dot?
Escape Pod

Postby s4s4u » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:34 am

Put a flip to side 3x magnifier behind it and you can reach out as far as the bullet will fly.
s4s4u

Postby Hoot » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:18 am

I have several Redfield Widefield 3-9x40 scopes that were my dad's. He only bought Redfields. Unfortunately, he had a bad habit of plastering his scopes with camo tape. So, I have several with old. ornery camo tape residue on them that needs to be removed. It was on my winter to do list along with three Savage 24V combo guns suffering from the same fate, that I need to get after with the Goo Gone and a lot of elbow grease. If you're willing to spend some time and energy removing the camo tape residue from an otherwise great scope, I can make you a good deal on one and help ensure domestic tranquility. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:48 pm

s4s4u wrote:

Put a flip to side 3x magnifier behind it and you can reach out as far as the bullet will fly.

thats also gonna depend on how big the red dot is

if its got a 12 MOA dot, at 200 yds your aiming point is gonna be 24" across.

if you get a sight with a 2 moa dot... at the same distance your aiming point is gonna be 4"

just somethign to consider.
plant_one

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles