450bm....too much for Coues Deer

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450bm....too much for Coues Deer

Postby Escape Pod » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:24 pm

Since you’re a handgun hunter, let me run this one by you. Lots of bullets for the 450bm, including the Hornady FTX I’ve been told,are basically handgun bullets strapped to a rifle casing. Since most handgun bullets, even 44 magnums, are designed to penetrate and expand at less than 1500 fps, wouldn’t they be ideal at far distances where their velocity and energy are closer to that of a magnum revolver at point blank?

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/44 ... allistics/
Escape Pod

Postby s4s4u » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:05 pm

Escape Pod wrote:Since you’re a handgun hunter, let me run this one by you. Lots of bullets for the 450bm, including the Hornady FTX I’ve been told,are basically handgun bullets strapped to a rifle casing. Since most handgun bullets, even 44 magnums, are designed to penetrate and expand at less than 1500 fps, wouldn’t they be ideal at far distances where their velocity and energy are closer to that of a magnum revolver at point blank?

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/44 ... allistics/

The 225 FTX that is intended for the 45 Colt might work at lower velocities, but then they might come apart at closer distances. I've never used them so don't have any hands on experience. I have always used the XTP or heavy hard cast in 45 Colt. The 250 FTX is built for higher velocities of the 450BM and muzzle loaders and might not expand well at lower velocities. I wonder if the 200 FTX that is earmarked for the 460 S&W might retain enough velocity at distance to expand, and shoot flat enough for you?
s4s4u

Postby Escape Pod » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:05 pm

Interesting. This hobby of mine is going to drive me to another hobby—reloading :P
Escape Pod

Previous

Return to Bolt Action Rifles