450b Bolt Action Rifle Picture Thread.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450b Bolt Action Rifle Picture Thread.

Postby KenMI » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:45 am

Al,

Thanks for the welcome. Thom sent me this way. He has spoken highly of you and the advise you have given him for his loading.

Yeah, that brake cuts recoil incredibly. I had a single shot CVA 450 before this one, with the factory KDF brake. The difference in recoil between the two is substantial. The 4 port brake is probably twice as effective, I'd say. Only drawback is it is loud as heck, but most every brake is going to be. I'm carrying earplugs with me while hunting from now on.

I actually had Randy ship the gun. I'm over 2 hours away, and for the price of shipping and an FFL transfer, it didn't make any sense to drive up there, since I already knew what I wanted. The gun was at the FFL 2 miles from me within 24 hours.
KenMI

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:59 am

Ross's 3 port is a good brake too, not sure if he does 4 ports or not.

I don't have a RAR yet, just a #1 and a 700 with a Apache barrel I did up 4-5 years ago. I really want to set something up for heavy cast bullets at some point. A member here sent me some zombie green beauties that could be the ultimate hammer, so maybe I'll just get a Savage or Remage barrel made up over the winter and play with it come spring.
Al in Mi

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:24 pm

KenMI wrote:Image

Started as a left hand 450 American Ranch from Randy's in Bad Axe. Then I sent the stock for hydrodipping, and had the metal Cerakoted in Tungsten. The rifle only came with a thread cap. Brake is a 4 port Beast brake from Nathan at http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com.

Nice man! Welcome to our electronic campfire! I got your email but it looks like Hoot beat me to it. I’ve been kinda busy taking care of family issues lately. That’s a nice looking rifle.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:30 pm

Al in Mi wrote:Ross's 3 port is a good brake too, not sure if he does 4 ports or not.

I don't have a RAR yet, just a #1 and a 700 with a Apache barrel I did up 4-5 years ago. I really want to set something up for heavy cast bullets at some point. A member here sent me some zombie green beauties that could be the ultimate hammer, so maybe I'll just get a Savage or Remage barrel made up over the winter and play with it come spring.

He does 4 ports, Al. I have a few.
7B65001E-DF58-4BEE-A547-5E16792E2045.jpeg
7B65001E-DF58-4BEE-A547-5E16792E2045.jpeg (828.24 KiB) Viewed 30661 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby KenMI » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:23 pm

Actually, honestly, I was trying to get Ross's brake when I ordered mine. Thom told me about the one he got for his AR. I searched online, and a few sites and forums pointed to www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com, as well as indicating that this was the company that took over the business for Ross Brakes. Come to find out, they are "friends" and not the same company, and Ross is still in business. But, I guess it worked out.
On a Google search, Ross's site does not even come up. The first one that comes up is Nathan's. So, I imagine that confuses some buyers.
KenMI

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:16 pm

KenMI wrote:Actually, honestly, I was trying to get Ross's brake when I ordered mine. Thom told me about the one he got for his AR. I searched online, and a few sites and forums pointed to http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com, as well as indicating that this was the company that took over the business for Ross Brakes. Come to find out, they are "friends" and not the same company, and Ross is still in business. But, I guess it worked out.
On a Google search, Ross's site does not even come up. The first one that comes up is Nathan's. So, I imagine that confuses some buyers.

You can just email him directly. His contact info is in our Market place.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bhemry » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 am

Well, I liked my original Ruger American so much, I bought another. Had a buddy borrowing a backup gun the last two years- my CVA .44 mag (rechambered in .445) and am going to sell it and just go with these two Ruger Americans. The new one is a Randy's Hunting Center exclusive- 22" stainless without the brake. This one will fix some of the shortcomings (to me) of the original one, by being stainless and having a longer barrel. My 16" braked model left my ear ringing a for a couple hours in 2017 with one shot from inside the blind, and for a week after 3 shots from inside the blind in 2018. (Didn't have time to get my plugs or muffs on either year.)

I've only had it a week or two, so it's still a work in progress. Unlike my other one, in a post a page or two back, whose trigger wouldn't adjust below 6 1/2 lbs, this one came with about a 4 3/4 lb pull that wouldn't adjust any lower. I ended up cutting a coil and a half off and have it at 2 3/4 lbs now. Got an Mcarbo spring on the way to play with too- in the interest of science. Going to cut this stock's length of pull back 1/2" like I did the other one. Going to add another slightly longer bolt handle on this one too like I did the other. Basically following the same pattern, but don't think I'm going to bother with building up the comb permanently on this one. I'll probably just tape padding on the comb of the backup rifle and use the green stock with the Weatherby-like comb on the main gun.

By the way Hoot, decided to put a Red Oak plywood sheet on top of my old workbench so it would look a little nicer, and being lighter in color, I can see parts laying on it. Since I had to take everything off the bench to put it on, it doesn't have as much clutter.. yet. ;)

bhemry

Postby TT92 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:36 am

My recent acquisition.
TT92

Postby wetcheerios » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:20 pm

wildcatter wrote:
We have much more power than the 45-70.

I know I’m new here, but certainly not new to ballistics. I wouldn’t say the 450B has MUCH more power than the 44-70. Modern rifles, like the Marlin 1895, shoot the 325 FTX at 2100 FPS, and my hand loads with the 405 gets out of the rifle at 1800+. The Hornady loaf for the 250 FTX only does 2200, which isn’t a slouch, but not like a 325 at 2100, right? I love the 45/79, and I hate to say it, but the 450 Bushmaster is making me think real hard about why I have a 45-70. But that’s because it’s modern, powerful, and accurate. Bolt action 45-70s are ridiculously powerful as well. Not trying to be argumentative, just not sure how the 450 smokes the 45-70 in the power department unless you’re only talking about trap door loads.
wetcheerios

Postby con10der » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:49 pm

very nice rig

jim
con10der

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles