a plain good 4x scope

T/C Encore in 450b anyone?

Moderator: MudBug

a plain good 4x scope

Postby 82celicagt » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:38 am

hi everyone. looking for some advice on making a purchase of a plain 4x scope.

The rifle is a Ruger 77 RSI in 250-3000 savage caliber. This is a little carbine and don't want a huge scope. Only for deer hunting.

Costs of the scope at this time and for the future are a concern. I've been using bargin basement scopes for a lot of years and they have been ok. i just want a bit nicer scope before i die for this carbine.

under consideration at this time:
nikon pro-staff 4x. i understand it is marketed as a rimfire scope and centerfire scope. is it stout enough really for a centerfire?

weaver 4x (new foreign ones)

pentax game seeker 4x-----not much found about this one

i'm trying to keep this under $150 for my needs and have a decent scope on the gun for when the girl inherits the gun.

or should i just pass this year and save money and get a leupold 4X?

never have cared for variable scopes. just want a good solid 4x for a pickup gun.
82celicagt

Re: a plain good 4x scope

Postby Hoot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:42 pm

82celicagt wrote:hi everyone. looking for some advice on making a purchase of a plain 4x scope.

The rifle is a Ruger 77 RSI in 250-3000 savage caliber. This is a little carbine and don't want a huge scope. Only for deer hunting.

Costs of the scope at this time and for the future are a concern. I've been using bargin basement scopes for a lot of years and they have been ok. i just want a bit nicer scope before i die for this carbine.

under consideration at this time:
nikon pro-staff 4x. i understand it is marketed as a rimfire scope and centerfire scope. is it stout enough really for a centerfire?

weaver 4x (new foreign ones)

pentax game seeker 4x-----not much found about this one

i'm trying to keep this under $150 for my needs and have a decent scope on the gun for when the girl inherits the gun.

or should i just pass this year and save money and get a leupold 4X?

never have cared for variable scopes. just want a good solid 4x for a pickup gun.

Welcome Aboard OM!

I have a 1993 (USA Made, Redfield Tracker) 4x40mm scope that was on a .50 cal muzzleloader. To me, its biggest detractor is its silver, like the rest of the SS muzzleloader it was mounted on. To others, the bigger detractor would be the ring marks my ham-fisted Dad made when he mounted it. Its still a Redfield and true to the name has an excellent tru-plex style image. Since this is not the Marketplace sub-forum, PM me if you're interested.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby coyote wacker » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:51 pm

I would go with a Nikon....I've owned 100's of scopes in the past 5 + decades.....I've sent back for repairs 100's of scopes I would wait until I had 5-6 to send back to Leupold for repairs.....about 6 years ago sent 6 to Leupold for repairs they called me and asked if I wanted to up grade the scopes for repairs told them yes....received new in the box scopes turned around and sold them all and bought new Nikons..... I have never had to send a Nikon back for a repair....its a shame that they quit making them.....
Bought back 30 years ago a new Burris to put on a Ruger 22 semi-auto it lasted 5 shots broke the cross hairs....around the same time put a new Burris on a 300 Weatherby never fired a shot was adjusting the newly mounted scope and the crosshairs locked up adjusting them....only thing a Burris is good for is a paper weight....
coyote wacker

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:23 pm

coyote wacker wrote:I would go with a Nikon....I've owned 100's of scopes in the past 5 + decades.....I've sent back for repairs 100's of scopes I would wait until I had 5-6 to send back to Leupold for repairs.....about 6 years ago sent 6 to Leupold for repairs they called me and asked if I wanted to up grade the scopes for repairs told them yes....received new in the box scopes turned around and sold them all and bought new Nikons..... I have never had to send a Nikon back for a repair....its a shame that they quit making them.....
Bought back 30 years ago a new Burris to put on a Ruger 22 semi-auto it lasted 5 shots broke the cross hairs....around the same time put a new Burris on a 300 Weatherby never fired a shot was adjusting the newly mounted scope and the crosshairs locked up adjusting them....only thing a Burris is good for is a paper weight....

I second the Nikon suggestion if you're going new. Of all the scopes I own, the most common name among them is Nikon, all of which are Monarchs. Have not tried the Pro-Staff line but the apple falls close to the tree.
Another good choice is Sightron. I have a handfull of S2's and a couple S3's. Excellent bang for buck and a positive anchor on the erectors.

Lately I've come into a lot of Redfields since my dad used them on all his rifles, especially the Widefield 3-9x40 model. Leupold bought them out a few years back however and in the stroke of a pen, negated all their Lifetime Warranties. Boo Leupold! :x

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:33 pm

I thought Nikon stopped manufacturing scopes.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:37 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I thought Nikon stopped manufacturing scopes.

You're right Dawg. Nikon announced that they would cease manufacturing in early 2020 but I'm sure there's still NOS in the supply chain. My recommendation comes from their performance and until recently, their simple, iron clad warranty. The quality is still there but from what I've read, the warranty is at best convoluted. I've read their new warranty policy description several times and its not encouraging. If you buy one of their NOS scopes after they announced getting out of the scope business, that Lifetime warranty becomes a 7 year warranty. If you bought one of their scopes before the announcement and can prove it with an invoice or sales slip, then the lifetime warranty is still in effect. If you don't have proof of purchase, its a bit murky. They will have the option of determining whether they fix or replace if if someting goes wrong with it. It's weird. I know that for me, the warranty on all my Monarchs, for all intent and purpose, fall into that last category since I don't believe I saved any sales slips or invoices since they were not required in the past. Even with that in mind, I would not hesitate to buy a used Nikon Monarch scope if I needed another one and the price was right.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby deadeer » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:39 pm

I am a Burris fan. I have only sent one back, and it was on a violent 454 Casull that bent the mount. I have 11 of their scopes, and a couple buddies with a few. Sorry to hear of the bad luck, but it's not been my experience.
deadeer

Return to Pistols