AR pistol won’t cycle

T/C Encore in 450b anyone?

Moderator: MudBug

Re: AR pistol won’t cycle

Postby plant_one » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:58 am

Hoot wrote:Image

^^ this

that being said.. at least it was something silly and a quick recovery!
plant_one

Postby Smithjdsr » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:08 am

I also just finished a 350 Legend upper so my son and I can both hunt the late muzzle season- using modern ‘pistols’. I put a standard gas block on the 350 because, apparently, I’m not smart enough to have adjustable gas blocks. The 350L works just fine.
John

“Remember; No matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai
Smithjdsr

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:39 pm

Maybe my state (MN) is just backwards but for the life of me, I fail to see how a pistol equates to a muzzle loader, unless the pistol is truly a muzzle loading pistol. I'm all for everyone filling their ticket but where do you draw the line in terms of definitions? We can hunt in the shotgun zone with a pistol, but the DNR came up with that idea back when pistols were for the most part, straight walled, with minimum diameters and minimum muzzle energy specifications. I ran into a guy at the range sighting in a 14" 6.5 Creedmoor pistol to use in the shotgun zone. My advice to him was to call the DNR and make sure that was permitted. The whole shotgun zone is a contentious issue here. I know the DNR is considering just simply making the entire state a rifle zone. We'll see how that goes...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby s4s4u » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:31 am

I have a 308 Savage Striker pistol that is slug zone legal, by definition. Also a 7-30 Waters and a 223. The 350L is on the short list of coming attractions. I would like to see MN DNR allow pistol caliber carbines/rifles in slug zones. A 44 mag lever gun would be no more dangerous to bystanders than a 12 gauge shotgun, but much more handy and accurate. Also bullet selection is far more expansive as well as effective. I could see a minimum cal of 35 and a min/max length to qualify, but that might be too sensible for them.
s4s4u

Postby Smithjdsr » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:02 am

Hoot wrote:Maybe my state (MN) is just backwards but for the life of me, I fail to see how a pistol equates to a muzzle loader, unless the pistol is truly a muzzle loading pistol. I'm all for everyone filling their ticket but where do you draw the line in terms of definitions?

Hoot

Iowa isn’t big on redefining things.
As such, when Michigan went ‘straight wall’, Iowa said, “Yeah. That.”
When someone said, “45-70 is really old- and it’s basically ‘straight wall’.” Iowa said, “Ok.”
When Winchester released the 350 Legend and said, “No matter what the bullet ACTUALLY measures, it’s a .357” Iowa said, “Sure! Why not?”

So, when I called the DNR, they said, “We’ve always accepted ‘pistols’ during the late muzzle-loader season. That used to mean .44 mag revolvers, and things like that. The ATF calls an AR with no stock and a barrel shorter than 16” a pistol, so it’s a pistol. …and pistols are legal during the late muzzle-loader season.”

In one way, it makes no sense. But, fired as a pistol (not shouldered) either of these pistols is really not that different than a BFR revolver in 450B or 350L. My barrels are 10.5” and a BFR is 10” even. But, at the end of the day, a BFR or an AR pistol is still a modern weapon being used during a season for “primitive” weapons. (One big difference is that I can’t AFFORD a BFR…) If I’m still hunting deer in January, the thrill and challenge has probably gone out of it and I’m just hoping to put more venison in the freezer- if I want the challenge, I’ll stick to a smoke pole (but, even then, I’ll be using modern powder pellets, modern bullets with a gas seal, and shotgun primers, so…)

I don’t think MN is that ‘backward’, but Iowa might be too ‘forward’ or too much of a follower? I just know that, by January, Iowa wants a few more deer killed and they have to be antlerless (shed bucks are legal, for practical purposes, but they prefer does). Even with modern weapons, I think there are very few deer killed by hunters once the second shotgun season is over. I like being one of the few… :lol:
Last edited by Smithjdsr on Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Smithjdsr

Postby Smithjdsr » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:52 pm

s4s4u wrote:I have a 308 Savage Striker pistol that is slug zone legal, by definition. Also a 7-30 Waters and a 223. The 350L is on the short list of coming attractions. I would like to see MN DNR allow pistol caliber carbines/rifles in slug zones. A 44 mag lever gun would be no more dangerous to bystanders than a 12 gauge shotgun, but much more handy and accurate. Also bullet selection is far more expansive as well as effective. I could see a minimum cal of 35 and a min/max length to qualify, but that might be too sensible for them.

Yep. When Iowa jumped on the “straight wall” bandwagon they did deer hunters a big favor. Iowa always claimed to be worried about safety- that trigger-happy hunters with a 7mm mag would shoot at a running buck over a hilltop and end up picking off Cletus while he’s spreading manure on his JohnDeere B on the other side. I don’t think that ever was the real reason- I think they were more worried about effectiveness and range more than accidents. But my Bushy, while far more accurate and deadly at proper ranges for Iowa deer, is no more accident prone than a 12 ga slug. As soon as Iowa changed the law, I decided that I was done slinging cannon balls out of a pheasant gun. I built an AR (with Hoot’s advice) and broke out my old press and re-learned how to reload (with Hoot’s advice) and commenced to harvesting venison in style.
John

Smithjdsr

Previous

Return to Pistols