450b Pistol Picture Thread.

T/C Encore in 450b anyone?

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450b Pistol Picture Thread.

Postby jaybuck1 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:44 pm

Question: if we were to apply this cartridge to a revolver, and I would love to have a companion revolver in this caliber. How would the cartridge headspace with no rim on it? moon clips? It does not seem as if it would headspace properly with diffent types of crimps being employed were the cylinder be reamed to leave a rim inside . I am certain the .30 carbine would be similar but I do not know what method is applied there either.
jaybuck1

Postby wildcatter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:14 pm

jaybuck1 wrote:Question: if we were to apply this cartridge to a revolver, and I would love to have a companion revolver in this caliber. How would the cartridge headspace with no rim on it? moon clips? It does not seem as if it would headspace properly with diffent types of crimps being employed were the cylinder be reamed to leave a rim inside . I am certain the .30 carbine would be similar but I do not know what method is applied there either.

Yes, moon clips seem the over-all best way to go, but not the only way. Ruger did the 30 carbine in their blackhawk and the cyls were done just like our chamber, each with a lip that the case mouth head-spaces off of..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:51 pm

Contact Magnum Research in MN. They have their BFG Revolver in 45-70. 450B would work nicely. I like the thought of moon clips.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:25 pm

Siringo wrote:Contact Magnum Research in MN. They have their BFG Revolver in 45-70. 450B would work nicely. I like the thought of moon clips.

I have played with their high quality weapon and it makes a perfect platform for the 450b, that I'd be happy with, all the days of my life. However at this moment (subject to my whims), I am personally interested in a double action..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:40 pm

Hey Wildcatter would a conversion from the AUTOMAG III be possible? http://www.highstandard.com/amt_automag.html

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:30 am

2zero6 wrote:Hey Wildcatter would a conversion from the AUTOMAG III be possible? http://www.highstandard.com/amt_automag.html

[ http://www.highstandard.com/Guns/amt_automagiii.jpg ]

Yes, and I have done them and owned many. The 45 ACP AMT Back-up, sits on my night stand now. I converted a 30 carbine model to 5.7 Johnson and I owned a matched pair of original 44 auto-mags. Making our cartridge function through a pistol grip is possible, but most would have a very difficult time griping a semi-auto that passed a 50bmg through your hand. The 450b has the same problem, not impossible but for 99.9% of all hands the pistol-grip is far to long, from front to back. Heck, the 45 win-mag in a AMT or LAR GRIZZLE fizzled for this problem (and I wish I owned both right now) and both were as good as it gets, for quality & reliability. Having said all this, there are guys that will want such a conversion and I'll build them or own them myself, for they are fun as-all-get-out. Keep thinking and suggesting, everything was not all invented in Adam and Eve's time..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby lwrkeysfisher » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:32 pm

I am a bit new to this, but it seems that a replacement cylinder for the 460 S&W would solve all of our problems. Keep the original cylinder to fire cheap .45LC and the .450B cylinder when we need real firepower. I would be first in line to buy a replacement cylinder if one could/would be made. What do you guys think?
lwrkeysfisher

Postby NordicRX8 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:38 am

wildcatter]Heck, the 45 win-mag in a AMT or LAR GRIZZLE fizzled for this problem (and I wish I owned both right now) and both were as good as it gets, for quality & reliability.[/quote]
My buddy is on his second LAR Grizzly. Both are/were .45 Win Mag. The increased grip length to accomodate the .45WinMag makes the gun unweildy and he rarely shoots it... he might be willing to trade it. hint hint :)
The LAR is a monster... a super sized 1911. If you run out of ammo, you can attach it to a stick and it'd make a great sledge hammer. The problem I have with it is parts... which luckily, LAR still has. I recently changed the extractor for my friend... it was $60!!!! (not including shipping).

[quote="lwrkeysfisher wrote:
I am a bit new to this, but it seems that a replacement cylinder for the 460 S&W would solve all of our problems. Keep the original cylinder to fire cheap .45LC and the .450B cylinder when we need real firepower. I would be first in line to buy a replacement cylinder if one could/would be made. What do you guys think?

+1
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:05 am

lwrkeysfisher wrote:I am a bit new to this, but it seems that a replacement cylinder for the 460 S&W would solve all of our problems. Keep the original cylinder to fire cheap .45LC and the .450B cylinder when we need real firepower. I would be first in line to buy a replacement cylinder if one could/would be made. What do you guys think?

On my plate of to do things, and has been since the 460 S&W came out, is to convert a whole bunch of them for moon clips, using the 450b cartridge. Sometime in the near future I will make a dedicated revolver for the 450b and it will be offered commercially from one of the biggies. In the mean time, how many conversion revolvers do you guys want? I'm not ready just yet and wont be until late next summer at the earliest, but it would be nice to gage the "wants" for this conversion.. This idea came quick and naturally for me. In the days of the M-1 Carbine conversions I did a bunch of Anaconda's from 45 Colt to 45Win-Mag, which was the companion cartridge for the M-1 I was doing back then (yes I'll do more of both weapon systems). Pretty cool too, the weapon not only fired the 45wm, but the 45colt, 45 Schofield, and the 45 ACP, out of the same cylinder!! Of course you could add the 454 and the 460 to that line up if you wanted to forgo the 450b, in the 460 S&W weapon platform.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby lwrkeysfisher » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:56 am

I like the idea of having a pistol chambered in the same caliber as my hunting rifle. Have been beating down the 44mag path for a long time, but like the 450 (and AR platform) so much more. Would you simply make a replacement cylinder for the 460 S&W, or would you need to modify the firearm entirely? My preference is clearly a replacement cylinder if possible (for cheap 45LC shooting in addition), but a completely modified 460 would work as well. You can officially count me in for either.
lwrkeysfisher

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols