Issue with reloads chambering

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Issue with reloads chambering

Postby Shinedog » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:43 pm

2500 HD wrote:A friend of mine just experienced this. Both his and my Hornady sizing die did not chamber his ammo on once fired brass. Factory new hornady brass would chamber. He bought a Lee resizing die and it sizes to the same size as new factory brass. With the Lee die every round chambered. See what the RCBS dies do but he fixed his issue with an inexpensive Lee die

Good to know! I bought my dues from Williams gunsight new but it was a couple years ago and hadn’t tried them until this year.
Shinedog

Postby Shinedog » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:45 pm

2500 HD wrote:A friend of mine just experienced this. Both his and my Hornady sizing die did not chamber his ammo on once fired brass. Factory new hornady brass would chamber. He bought a Lee resizing die and it sizes to the same size as new factory brass. With the Lee die every round chambered. See what the RCBS dies do but he fixed his issue with an inexpensive Lee die

Good to know, I bought my dues new from Williams gunsight a few years ago and this is the first I tried them. I’m not sure how long it will take to get the sizing die back either.
Shinedog

Postby Shinedog » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:54 pm

Al in Mi wrote:if you get a chance, measure the diameter at the case mouth on a case sized by each die.

just curious how much of a difference there is.

Rcbs die sized case mouth measures .473. Base of case barrel measures .498
Hornady die sized case mouth measures .475 and base measures.500
Shinedog

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:51 pm

Shinedog wrote:
Al in Mi wrote:if you get a chance, measure the diameter at the case mouth on a case sized by each die.

just curious how much of a difference there is.

Rcbs die sized case mouth measures .473. Base of case barrel measures .498
Hornady die sized case mouth measures .475 and base measures.500

If your chamber is to SAAMI spec (not always the case), the Hornady sized case should fit.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Shinedog » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:55 am

The cases sized with the hornady die should have fit however they also do not fit the Lyman ammo checker. Hornady got my sizing die on Monday and on Tuesday I got notification that they were sending a new die. It will be here Friday 1/27/23. Very fast turnaround I think.
Shinedog

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:07 pm

Shinedog wrote:The cases sized with the hornady die should have fit however they also do not fit the Lyman ammo checker. Hornady got my sizing die on Monday and on Tuesday I got notification that they were sending a new die. It will be here Friday 1/27/23. Very fast turnaround I think.

Glad that's on the road to corrected. Yes, Hornady has been good to me the couple of times in 40+ reloading years that I needed them to be.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:29 am

I've been going to measure one of my cases, just keeps slipping my mind afterwork!!!

I'm more curious on the neck tension with the RCBS, not that I have any issues with my Hornady die, just curious is all.
Al in Mi

Postby Shinedog » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:09 am

I would say the neck tension from the rcbs dies is much better. I load with lilgun and I crimp all my loads, from what I’ve found, lilgun likes crimp.
Shinedog

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:01 am

Shinedog wrote:I would say the neck tension from the rcbs dies is much better. I load with lilgun and I crimp all my loads, from what I’ve found, lilgun likes crimp.

You can expand that claim to read "With its straight walled design, the 450b likes all its ammo crimped." Sufficient crimp is the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Furthermore, the lighter the bullets, the greater the need for a firmer grip on them. I've also found that it you anneal your brass once in a while, it helps with the crimp also by reducing spring back at the mouth.

Hoot
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b