Reloading data quick please.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Reloading data quick please.

Postby 450pwr » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi again :D Just got my 450 today and want some quick load data to get me on paper tomorrow morning. I am getting ready to hit the sack and don't have time to search and hope someone can help. I purchased Hornady lever 225gr bullets and I have to following powders on hand and would like to know if I can use them? I hope to hunt on Saturday and this is what I have Vit-110, blue dot and accurate 1680. If you have any load data using these powders, start/stop loads Please post.....Thanks again for your time......!!! :mrgreen:
450pwr

Re: Reloading data quick please.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:01 pm

My best advice is go get a box of factory loads if you need boolits quickly. Working up loads takes time. I've been reloading for decades. I've had my 450 upper for about a year. I STILL am working up and experimenting with the perfect hunting load for MY setup. Until I find what I want, I have a case of factory ammo to nurse off of. I don't take anyones word for gospel here and I strongly suggest that you take it SLOW, get a Hornady book and work up loads that match your rifles' needs. Hasty reloads are dangerous. Get some factory rounds to tide you over until then. Go kill a big un'!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 450pwr » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks and I agree...That's the smartest thing to do but the stores don't carry the ammo locally or are sold out. I work nights and the closest store that might have the ammo is 2 hours round trip + gas and I would prefer to do that as a last resort. The range is 5 minutes from my house and I have the dies, bullets and these powders on hand and was hoping to get a base load and perfect it for 75 yards or less. THANKS for you time. Jay :D
450pwr

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:30 pm

I would NEVER risk it. If I had an upcoming hunt and were in Your boots I would make the 2 hr drive, or pick a different rifle for the hunt until I could take time to do it right.
PS I work graveyard too, so I know what your dealing with.
I have an old saying for my employees when they run behind.
Nope.... I ain't gonna say it. But I'll send it to ya telepathically...LOL!
And believe me, I have to look in the mirror ALL the time and get on to him too!
But I do sympathize with ya. The only local place I can get them is Cabelas for about $30 a box.
I eventually wised up and ordered up a good batch through Powder Valley and I'm good to go now. I will never buy 450b ammo locally anymore until it drops below $24 a box.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 450pwr » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks for the reply I will take your advice and buy the ammo and if I get lucky this weekend I will let ya know. Thanks again for help...!! It's the smarter thing to do!
450pwr

Postby BillytheKid » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:42 pm

450pwr wrote:Thanks for the reply I will take your advice and buy the ammo and if I get lucky this weekend I will let ya know. Thanks again for help...!! It's the smarter thing to do!

Always remember, Safety third...

EDIT: not the Mike Rowe version, but the "Mr. Bill" version - Safety, Safety, Safety = Safety third, or Safety to the 3rd power.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby BD1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm loading the 225 FTX over 43 grains of 297 at COAL of 2.240, with very good results. 297 is a couple grains slower than 296 in this application.

Quickload tells me that N110 should be at 100% case capacity at about 35-36 grains yielding around 2,200 fps out of a 16" barrel at around 40,000 psi. Shorten up the OAL to crimp in the cannelure and at COAL 2.120 you'd max out around 33 grains.

Quickload tells me that at 2.120 Bluedot maxes out at 27 grains yielding around 2,000 fps

Quickload tells me that the 1680 would max out around 40 grains for a little under 2,000 fps.

My model in quickload has been developed around Lil Gun, H110 and 297. Blue dot is significantly faster than those powders which makes the Quickload prediction less reliable. 1680 is significantly slower, also making the prediction less reliable. The N110 is closer, and should be more reliable.

As always, start lower and work your way up. Remember. you read this on the internet so proceed with caution. Read through the reloading forum and you get an idea of where to start.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Had to dig through my range notes from last year, but found this load. It's rather tame, but fairly accurate from my 20". I never published it because N-110 was one of those bright ideas, that wasn't as bright as I hoped. The stuff spit residue all over my chrony that looked like sawdust. Wasn't unburned powder. Didn't dirty up the action or bore though. Most accurate 100 yard 5-shot group was 35gr (see target pic).

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Hoot-mon....sawdust on the chrony, eh? Did you check the range bench support posts for, umm, high-speed termite damage? :D
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby 450pwr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks again for the replies, I really do appreciate it. I got lucky and found 1 box of ammo and will go to the range this evening...I can't wait to shoot this beast :o Also, thanks for the load data as well, I will give it a try next week when I have more time. :mrgreen:
450pwr

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b