Heavy Bullets ??

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Heavy Bullets ??

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:37 pm

commander faschisto wrote:More great info...thanks again!....I've got several mag variations; will check for which one allows max OAL with reliable chambering. Gee, I almost feel like I'm learning something here...? The ballistics school of hard shooting!

Be mindful that even though you may have a longer COL magazine and that groove up the front of the mag well, you may lose that additional clearance as the cartridge passes from the lower to the upper receiver. I had to relieve a small amount of the upper receiver, actually make a short groove from the bottom of the upper receiver, up to the barrel extension to allow longer COL rounds to pass by. Now that was in my formerly owned 300 OSSM. I have not measured the clearance in the 450b. Shoot, I'll go do it right now BRB.

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:51 pm

Hoot wrote:
commander faschisto wrote:More great info...thanks again!....I've got several mag variations; will check for which one allows max OAL with reliable chambering. Gee, I almost feel like I'm learning something here...? The ballistics school of hard shooting!

Be mindful that even though you may have a longer COL magazine and that groove up the front of the mag well, you may lose that additional clearance as the cartridge passes from the lower to the upper receiver. I had to relieve a small amount of the upper receiver, actually make a short groove from the bottom of the upper receiver, up to the barrel extension to allow longer COL rounds to pass by. Now that was in my formerly owned 300 OSSM. I have not measured the clearance in the 450b. Shoot, I'll go do it right now BBS.

Hoot
OR --- buy Oly's new lower and special magazine for the 22-250. That will get you to 2.4 inches. These lowers are about twice the cost of a standard variety.
Siringo

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Forget about it. It's not a factor unless you do a c_bass16 mod to your magazine. Olympic's UMAR lower is certainly a way you can go if you have deep pockets, but I never considered long loads for the 450b. It does just fine for my interests with 2.26 or less COL. The biggest game I will be hunting with mine is whitetails.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Hoot's exactly correct, though mine doesn't need any mods, to get to 2.4 oal, your's prolly will and here's a little ditty to show you how to do it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4BBB2CX ... ature=plcp).

Thanks John for pulling me out of the fire here. Though I know exactly what I'm talking about, most can't decipher anything I say, but as you can read, John saved me, again..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:48 pm

WC...we all "understand" how things can get in the upper atmosphere of a ballistician's bio-computer! Not to worry. :D

Its probly a side effect of all those years with a headset squeezing on your ears...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby pitted bore » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:16 pm

randyf-

It's buried a long ways down in the list of topics; Siringo and I collaborated on some cast bullet trials more than a year ago. Here's our pretty detailed write-up, including photos: Some Cast Bullet Trials - A Joint Project

Driving the 405s at about 1600 fps, accuracy was about 5-6" for 5 shots at 100 yards. The rifle/shooter combo was capable of 2-3" with factory ammo. Driving the cast bullets faster resulted in really poor accuracy; the bullets may have been stripping from the rifling. Running them slower produced better accuracy.

Be sure to let us know how your trials turn out.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby randyf » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:41 pm

pitted bore wrote:randyf-

It's buried a long ways down in the list of topics; Siringo and I collaborated on some cast bullet trials more than a year ago. Here's our pretty detailed write-up, including photos: Some Cast Bullet Trials - A Joint Project

Driving the 405s at about 1600 fps, accuracy was about 5-6" for 5 shots at 100 yards. The rifle/shooter combo was capable of 2-3" with factory ammo. Driving the cast bullets faster resulted in really poor accuracy; the bullets may have been stripping from the rifling. Running them slower produced better accuracy.

Be sure to let us know how your trials turn out.

--Bob

Thanks for the heads up on the additional info........
randyf

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:35 am

Here is the test I ran with some 350's if your interested.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5081
Stealthshooter

Postby randyf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:37 am

Stealthshooter wrote:Here is the test I ran with some 350's if your interested.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5081

Thanks.......I think I'll try loading my 350's with some AA1680 and some with 296.
randyf

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b